masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'd first like to thank everyone responsible for putting on this meet. From the officials, who were very professional and very entertaining at times (especially the weights and measurements officals who I got to speak to quite frequently), to the volunteers, who were helpful and hard working even though they weren't getting paid, thank you. The competition was great! The competitors that were in my age group and those in the ones above that competed at the same time as me: you guys were great and thanks for showing me I need A LOT of work from here until next year in Sacramento.
Special thanks goes out to Greg who, even though he told me a big lie (just kidding), was very helpful before the meet with implement weigh-in and other things I should look for heading into my first meet. It was great to meet you and glad to hear that frustrations I have a coach here go on across the country and that the good usually always outweighs the bad. I look forward to chatting with you on here in the years to come and running into you at more meets in the future.
Also, another special thanks goes out to everyone I got to meet, compete with, and chat with during the meet. Lee, I look forward to throwing against you in the future and having the epic battles at age 50 that they talk about now at the current meets. Tiffany, I hope discus went well on Sunday and that your achilles heals quickly and you get back to training ASAP for the championships in your home state next year. Finally, it was nice to meet you Chris and talk to you at all the events we threw in together. I'm sure that with hard work and more time to learn the events by the time next year rolls around I'll be seeing a different thrower in the ring in all those throwing events. There were a few other folks I didn't catch the names of, but I don't want to forget to thank them - the gentleman who offered a few javelin tips, I appreciate your help...and to the couple from Kansas getting married this weekend - best wishes to you!
I finally just want to touch on things that I liked and disliked at the meet. I didn't like the fact that spectators had to pay to get in and watch if in the past you never had to...my wife wouldn't have minded paying a reasonable entrance fee, but we felt as though she was being robbed. Eight dollars a day is a bit much especially if you have an event everyday. A suggestion: Have a package deal for three or four days to reduce the rate for those showing up everyday. This last dislike might be more of a logistics thing, but I thought they might put people on the podium to accept their awards so you could get a picture with you, your medal/ribbon and your competitors. After the event just walk everyone that placed over to the podium and after any possible protests to the results passes do the ceremony. Again this might be because it isn't possible because of the amount of age groups and such, but if possible I think it should/could be done.
As for the good points for the meet... everything other than the two above bad points was great. Venue, transportation to and from the field, officials, and volunteers were all great. I also liked the setup for the dorms being given linens, refrigerator/freezer, microwave, cable, access to computer labs. It was awesome. Those young people workling in the dorms did a great job also with any questions they were asked and providing anything they could to you.
Overall great meet and can't wait until next year.

Top Top

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

CoachApisa wrote:
Special thanks goes out to Greg who, even though he told me a big lie (just kidding)

It was just one lie! HA!

It was great meeting and talking with you and your wife, Andrew. Hopefully you guys didn't have to encounter any other car fires in Chicago on your trip back home.

You're right, all the the officials and volunteers were great. And they have a top notch facility at Oshkosh. The competitors were really good people too. All of them made this meet a lot of fun.

Top Top

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hopefully Sacramento will learn from the following for 2010 as these were the best parts of the last two years in my opinion:

Spokane:
1) No entry fee (to watch)
2) No charge for parking (we found free parking across the street but there shouldn't be a charge for parking anywhere)
3) Use of a podium for awards

Oshkosh:
1) Having PT announce from the booth
2) Very helpful and friendly officials
3) Warm-up track available
4) Time to warm-up on the competition track for 10-15 minutes before your race
5) Packet pickup at the track rather than 1/4 mile away

Top Top

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:26 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Be prepared for fun with the hammer ring at Sac St. It is very slick and caused problems for throwers of all levels at each meet held there this season. If you have a "slow" pair of shoes, plan on packing them for Nationals next years.

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yow! We had something similar at the masters midwest regional at Carroll University (Waukesha, WI) yesterday. A new hammer ring, just put in last year. Very slick. I wore my slow Asics Hyper Throws.

But the all-time slickest in the Chicago-area is Wheaton College (Wheaton, IL). I had to wear Adidas Samba indoor soccer shoes to throw hammer there.

Top Top

Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

Can't wait to try Sac State. I have practiced turns on a 4x8 sheet of lexan. You can really fly. I'm tired of the crappy, torn up concrete rings.

Top Top