masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 am

Master Masters Athlete

Just finished compiling the video for the shot put competition from the national meet for M30-34. First time I've done this so I hope it works and that you guys like it. Will continue working on the hammer, weight, discus, and javelin and when I finish those I'll let you guys know. Can't wait for next season to meet up with many of you again and keep training hard everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzSVpA9kszA

Top Top

Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

That's really cool, Andrew. Thanks for posting it.

You've got a nice, controlled rotation, with an explosive release.

Top Top

Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:29 pm

No kidding...Nice Job on the throwing videos. Nice to see someone taking an interest.

Top Top

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 am

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. As I promised as I finish videos I'll post them here and I just finished the hammer throw competition.

It's nice to see video of competition throws and see the mistakes you're making so you know what to work on in training sessions. I definitely have a lot to work on in the next year to prepare for Sacramento. Hope this helps those who I competed with in Oshkosh as it does myself when going into a training session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfCCHsFFUsk

Maybe next year and in future years I'll tape more age groups and post them since it is kind of fun and I noticed throwers rarely get photographed or video taped at the meet (especially the younger age groups). I don't blame anyone because the large venue makes it hard for anyone to get to every event and see every age group so I guess I'll look into taping others and posting them in the future. I'll see what I can do next year.

Again I'll post the weight, discus, and javelin in the next few days. Enjoy.

Top Top

Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Weight throw finished for M30-34 at Nationals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iB4m6qxdOQ

Top Top

Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

Discus throw finished for M30-34 at Nationals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKn9y_SHxwE

Top Top

Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Andrew, more great videos! Thanks for posting these.

Why all the passes in discus?

Top Top

Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Thanks GTheo,

I injured my groin about two weeks before nationals and couldn't do any sweeping motion with my right leg without my groin feelinglike it would completely tear or detach. I didn't know if I'd even go to nationals to compete because of it. I rested with pretty much no lifting or throwing for the two weeks proir to nationals and just rested, stretched, and did some light jogging closer to the meet. Decided to go and bought the thigh brace to give it some help and made sure to warm up really well. Shot didn't bother me, hammer didn't hurt too bad, weight throw felt some twinges, and then warm-ups really felt it pulling. So first throw did a full spin and felt it pop once I drove the inside of my leg through the ring. Passed until Lee threw farther and tried a south african inside the ring so I didn't have to drive with the inside of my leg but it still bothered me so I shut it down after that to try and throw the javelin the next day. I did throw the javelin but it was a very slow and short approach and I stayed pretty much facing forward the whole time because I couldn't cross over in my approach without pain (you'll see that wonderful technique in the video when I post it tomorrow). So I made it through all the events just didn't make it through unscathed. I've shut it down and will just train and drill until January and start the fun all over again looking forward to Boston and/or Sacramento.
Next time I'll have to be sure and tape you guys so I can post it for all of you guys to see. Hope everything is going well with you and look forward to seeing you again at some competitions in the future.

Top Top

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

Damn, I thought it might have been injury-related. I hope you heal up quickly.

Top Top

Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I'm letting it heal for about three weeks then I'm starting back into my training around August 1. I didn't give it enough time before nationals to heal so lasting through three events was a great surprise to me. Javelin wasn't too bad but I definitely couldn't do a full speed and full length approach. I managed though and again after discus I was happy to make it through the whole event.
Anyway here is the final installment of my videos. Hope you guys enjoy the video and see you guys HOPEFULLY in Boston and/or Sacramento next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh4zz2qsGbE

Top Top

Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Those are some pretty far javelin throws off of what was basically a walk up for you. How much distance did you lose by not being able to run?

I like your plan for resting and healing. Don't be afraid to take another week or two if it's not feeling at least 90% either.

Top Top

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:38 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I don't know how much I lost because the two times I threw the javelin this year I was injured. So I'll have to wait until next year to see what I can do fully healed...hopefully.

As far as healing I took your advice and went to Las Vegas for a wekk and relaxed. Feel pretty good now so I will probably start up this weekend or Monday in preparation for next year.

Hope evrything is goin well with you GTheo and everyone else. For those of you still competing...Good Luck!!!! For those of you joining me in beginning your training for next year... stay strong, stay healthy, and good luck.

Top Top