masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:37 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Now that everyone is in Finland, I have a question about getting to Kamloops in March. I went to AAA today to inquire on our planned drive from Seattle to Kamloops. Airfare directly into Kamloops is quite expensive, even through the internet travel sites. It will be well over a grand from my home in FLA. Our plan for that drive seems to be put on hold because of the fact that March snow could of closing Highway 5 in the mountains between SEA and Kamloops.(a good possibility) And a scary thought indeed for this Floridian. I'd like to know if anyone on the list as checked into how they will get to Kamloops and their possible plans. I'd love to take my wife and spend some extra time in the area, but at these airfares, I may have to go it alone and eat the cost to fly directly into Kamloops.

G Dixon
Sarasota Fl
M51 Multis

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Consider flying to Vancouver and driving to Kamloops from there.

The Roads from Vancouver to Kamloops (Route 1 and the Cochahalla Highway) are less mountainous and more passible in winter than the route from Seattle to Kamloops which goes through the Cascades.

Top Top

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:26 pm

I can fly to Seattle from Tampa for a lot cheaper than into Vancover, by almost $200.00 bucks a person. We're going to leave on the 26th of Feb and sight see on the drive up to Kamloops. I have been told the trip will be between 5 and 7 hours. And I can avoid the Cascades and drive almost up to Vancover then get over to Sumas to cross the border.

Thank you for your advice.

gd

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:20 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

You can skip Vancouver you are adding about an hour to your trip probably more. Use the Trucker border to enter into Canada go to Langley then from there head to Kamloops. Stay away from the Peace Arch crossing it is always busy!
Marjorie Milligan Jackson

Top Top

Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

If I have the opportunity to attend. I will drive it is about 6-7 hours from my home.
Marjorie Milligan Jackson

Top Top

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

If you're driving from Seattle to Kamloops and want to avoid Vancouver altogether, it's probably best to take Interstate 5 from Seattle, then get off at exit 259 North in Bellingham. That will take you to the Lyndon/Aldergrove border crossing which is usually less busy than the others mentioned and is the quickest way to get to Highway 1 from Interstate 5.
Once you're over the border proceed (on the road leaving the border crossing) about 7 miles to Highway 1 and go west and follow the signs to Kamloops. It would be a 3-4 hour drive from the Aldergrove crossing to Kamploops, depending on driving conditions (and the condition of the driver).
The Aldergrove crossing is open from 8:00am till midnight, so plan your arrival time accordingly.

Top Top

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Mistake in previous post: You go EAST (not west) on Highway one toward kamloops. that takes you to the Coquahalla, which is a good road directly to Kamloops.

Top Top

Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:45 pm

This post on Pole Vault Power addresses some driving issues. In particular it gives some links to Road Cams on the two highway choices if driving from Seattle to Bellingham to Kamloops. (The author of the post lives in Vancouver.)
http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18509&p=132445&hilit=driving+kamloops#p132445

Other posts in the topic offer some additional info.

- master

Top Top

Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:41 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am arriving on Tuesday night in Seattle. I am interesting in sharing a ride on Wednesday morning from Seattle to Kamloops and returning after the Relays on Saturday. I have a rental car reserved and can seat two more additional people.

If interested please reply.

Top Top

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:54 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Some New News.....Just loaded FlyDrive packages onto my website at www.vision2000.ca/davidleeprovo

You'll find flights WITH the Motorcoach service packaged from various cities. Hurry though whilst stocks last. Taxes and Fees are extra. This makes for a midnight (or just before) arrival time in Seattle on the 27th Feb, and facilitates early returns into Seattle for morning/afternoon flights from Seattle on the 7th March. There is a request form on there for further information that you can submit!

With all fares, you may extend them to immediate family members and friends.

Hopefully, this service will encourage lots of Master athletes to visit us here in Canada for the Indoors. Unfortunately, it's always so expensive to travel to meets to compete, and the airlines or online booking services are not the easiest to work with. I am personally hoping that this will be a good experience for everyone.

See you trackside in Kamloops!

David Lee Provo Jnr
Vancouver, BC. CANADA
M45 100/200

Top Top