masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Due to injuries, the Western States Masters International Invitational was my first meet of the year. I want to thank the meet organizers for hosting a wonderful competition. The meet featured a buffet breakfast and included a full contingent of certified officials who ran the meet flawlessly. The meet was also well attended (at least for throwers). I didn't throw very far but had a great time.

Tom Fahey M61

Top Top

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:20 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Discusdoc, I wish I'd know you were going to be there -- I'd have been on the lookout for you! If you happened to be watching the ladies ... I was the first thrower in that group.

When I arrived to the discus ring, a few folks pointed out to me a lady who had set a [pending] national record for W70 Shot Put the night before at the meet. I ran into her later in the bathroom, where she very kindly complimented me on my throwing. I told her, "Well, I understand that congratulations are -truly- in order for your shot putting last night! I'm really pleased to be meeting a national record holder!" She modestly shrugged, and then told me that 45 years ago, she'd been an Olympian, running the hurdles. Now, maybe Olympians in Masters track is no big deal, but it sure was to me. I felt really fortunate to have a chance to meet this inspirational lady. (Whose name I promise to find out!)

A hearty thanks to the meet organizers and officials for a great meet. As Tom mentioned, a nice breakfast spread, a mug with the meet name, well-organized events, plus the announcer (Randy Sturgeon, I believe) did a great job not only annoucing but commentating, making sure to mention each runner during the race, and providing additional info if he had it on runners. Also, very shiny medals. ;-)

I had to get up pretty early to do the drive from San Francisco to Davis, but I'll definitely be back at this meet next year.

-Maria (W45 Discus)

Top Top

Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I bet your mystery lady was Cherrie Sherrard. She was and is an amazing athlete, as well as a very gracious and kind person.

I will never forget the first time I saw her, or rather the back of her. We were set at the 100 meter line, the gun went off and she was half way down the track before the rest of us woke up. One of my friends and mentors, Peyton Jordon, told me that she was the best natural hurdler he had ever seen. Sure wish she could still run and hurdle, but I am happy that she has yet another event to compete in and enjoy. Go Cherrie!

Nadine

Top Top

Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:32 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I bet your mystery lady was Cherrie Sherrard. She was and is an amazing athlete, as well as a very gracious and kind person.

Yes, you're right, Nadine! I'd written all the ladies' discus throwers names down when I arrived at the meet on a scrap of paper, which I just found last night. Thanks for your story about first meeting Cherrie!

Top Top