masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

On June 18, my 55th birthday, I ran a sprint workout (6x60 barefoot on artificial grass at Patrick Henry HS in San Diego). On my last rep, I went all out. Bad decision. Tore my left hamstring with Oshkosh nationals only weeks away.

So I rested, got deep-tissue massage and went to Oshkosh with hopes of being good to go for the 100 and 200. But then I went and conked my head on the high jump standard on my first attempt. Eight staples were removed from my scalp about 10 days later. But I scratched from the 1 and 2 on doctor's advice.

So maybe it was a good thing that I didn't stress my hammie in Wisconsin.

But ramping up to Lahti, I was still worried about my hammie. And in recent workouts, I've felt a tenderness in my RIGHT hammie.

So I got a nearly hourlong massage Wednesday, the day before my 100 at Lahti worlds. It apparently helped.

I stayed focused Thursday. I did a 10-minute jog in a gravel field used for throws near the track. Then I bought myself bottle of water for hydration (even though the temp was a wonderful low-70s).

I made my way to the backstretch stands of the main stadium and did my stretching and limbering drills, including leg swings. And then I ran 4x50 strides in spikes (a track surface was laid in a wide portion of the stands).

I then went down to the track for more sprints. Felt great! No issues with either hammie.

Around 11:20 a.m., I reported to the call room under the main stadium stands and joked with Dr. Stephen Peters, my archnemesis from Gateshead worlds of 1999. He went along with my joking about how I would play with his mind. (He's a sports shrink; his doctorate is in psychiatry, and he helped prepare the British cycling team for its dominance at the Beijng Olympics). I pointed at his orange spikes and said they were two sizes small. I put my hands on Steve's shoulders and said, "I'm sorry, but your great-grandmother has died!" He enjoyed the ribbing (I think).

Turns out I was in the wrong section of benches for the M55 heats. So when I heard my name called for Heat 2, I went elsewhere to sit.

Time soon came to move out. Carrying our gear in track bags, a lady in her early 20s led us under the stadium, out onto the track and around the backstretch until we were close to the starting line. We donned our spikes and took some sprints. After Heat 1 was off, we fixed ur blocks. Mine wasn't straight, so I realigned it. Didn't want to shoot into an adjoining lane!

We were called to our blocks.

I was in Lane 3, and I shook hands with the next-door German and another middle-age sprinter.

The Finnish starter said: "On your marks" -- with a slight accent. Then set. And the gun. No false start!

I pushed off hard, focusing on vicious arm action. Despite my concerns, I went all out. Everyone pulled away, including the German whose seed time of 13.7 gave me hope I could keep up (since I had run a windy 13.9 earlier this year). In the last 10 meters, I told myself not to quit. Then I dipped at the finish line -- last place but joyful.

I had run my first 100 in worlds with no pain or strain. I was now eligible to run in the 4x1 relay for Team USA at the end of the meet. (I just have to stay unhurt and hope three other M55s are ambulatory and present on Aug. 8.)

After a few minutes, the electronic scoreboard showed my time: 14.08. It was not the 13.XX I had hoped for, but it was my fastest legal time in three years. And it was done after six weeks of no sprint workouts. So it gave me great hope for a 28.XX in Sunday's 200 prelims.

The next day, my Lahti roommate (M45 world 400 champ Jim Chinn) told me that I was the top American M55 sprinter at the 2009 world championships! I realized he was right! Two other USA M55s had not run in the event as promised by the Status of Entries at usatf.org.

Eat your heart out, Bill Collins and Oscar Peyton. I'm the best American M55 short sprinter at 2009 Lahti worlds!

Last edited by Ken Stone on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 am

Master Masters Athlete

Nice story, I almost feel being in Lahti!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:36 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Ken,
Congratulations. But don't be so modest. You're not only the fastest M55 US Sprinter at Lahti, but you're also the top US W55 sprinter in the 100 heats, too. Well, so far. Ah, okay with an asterisk.

You kicked Rita's butt with your 14.07 against her 100m heat of 14.17. You keep this up and you may have to run the first and anchor legs in the 3x1 400.
Good luck and thanks for all the good work.
[/url]http://www.women-running-together.com/fastwomen.html

Top Top

Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:51 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Ken, What a difference a day makes. Here you were, undisputedly the top 55 year old USA sprinter, male or female there. Fame, like the 100 meters itself, is short and sweet.
Well, since you're still recovering from surgery, 100 meters probably doesn't seem that short, and with some of those guys in front of you, maybe not that sweet. Whatever.
But now that Rita ran 13.95 in the W55 finals, she's moved ahead, ever so slighty, but you do remain the top 55 male. You go guy.

Top Top

Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Wow! How cool. Glad you got out to Worlds. What an adventure.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

News doesn't seem to have filtered through yet, but Ken got a medal in Lahti. I guess he's just too modest to rush the story into print, or is still pinching himself, but it's true, just the same.

While My GB team-mates and I were busy winning M55 4x100m gold, I am delighted to be able to break the news that Ken ran anchor for the USA squad, holding on for bronze.

On the podium, Ken was quite overcome by events, and I hope that there are some good photos of him receiving his medal.

Like it said on his Stadium pass for Lahti "Ken Stone - Athlete".

Well done, my friend.

England

Top Top