masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Brand new to Discus-- have been throwing for 1 week (began competing in Highland games about 1 year ago and found throwing stuff to be a lot of fun)

Anyway, I'm 42 and thus far injury free (other than some off and on aches and pains)

Was wondering about realistic potential progress (given I'm willing to get some coaching, train hard and stay injury free)-- I am throwing a fairly beat up looking 2K discus and so far able to stand throw 110-120 ft and if I try a partial spin get about 115-130 ft-- I'm 6'5" with long arms and 270lb and still what I consider fairly quick and athletic

Was thinking about throwing discus but maybe trying the weight pentathalon as well-- It all looks like fun to me

Appreciate any feedback- thanks in advance

Shawn Baker

Top Top

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:59 am

Master Masters Athlete

Your marks are very good and will make excellent progress if you work hard. I started throwing again at age 45. I threw 117 feet in my first meet. By age 51, I threw 161 with the 2 kg discus (my athletes told me that I hit 168 at Modesto, but it didn't meet the minimum mark). I also threw the 2 kg discus 154 feet at age 56. Wendell Palmer and Bob Humphreys threw the 2 kg discus very far in their 40s and 50s. Ralph Frug. threw in the 170s in his early 50s (he can probably still throw that far), and Al Oerter threw 185 feet at age 51.

You have to train the way you did in college or the discus will tear you up. This year, I didn't prepare properly in the fall and blew out my back in February. I am slowly getting back in throwing shape but learned a valuable lesson.

Aging is a problem, but I think most of us use it as an excuse. We are capable of amazing performances if we train systematically. You can't approach masters track and field like an occasional play day or you will get hurt and you won't perform very well.

Stick with it. You obviously have talent and will have a lot of fun in the sport.

Tom Fahey M60-64 thrower

Top Top

Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yeah, it's fun isn't it.?!! I have just completed my second year of throwing discus only. It is very addictive.

I have added about 8m to my throw in that time. I started with no strength training or real throwing experience at all so it sounds like you may even progress faster. Your certainly have size on your side.

As a relative novice to throwing, the only advice I can give is what was given to me by an anonymous viking: Gains made slowly are gains that will be kept and kept injury-free. Try to leave "one in the tank" whether throwing or lifting-your body will thank you later.

Don't rush training. Enjoy the process and the great friends that you meet at competition and practice.

Throw far!

S. Wright M47,
Phoenix, AZ

Top Top

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks guys for the replies- I whole heartedly believe in year round preparation and have been training that way my whole life- found the type of training necessarry for throwing to be vey appealing from not only a performance standpoint but also from a health standpoint- sprints, plyometrics, explosive weight training etc..

PhxDoc- where in Phoenix do you train-- I'm currently stationed at Luke AFB and live in Surprse

Top Top

Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:18 am

Master Masters Athlete

It's great to hear your story, and after hearing your distances I'm thankful that I am well out of your age group!

Weight Pentathlons are fun. Here's a couple of tips. It's tough to win them unless you excel in Hammer, as Hammer/Weight are 2/3 of the total score. So practice those Hammer turns! Tip #2: Coaching can help you improve your distances on all the throws, but with Javelin it can keep you from blowing out your shoulder. If you want to do Weight Pentathlons I recommend some Javelin instruction early on...call it "shoulder insurance".

Have fun!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

SBaker:

Just sent you info in your PM box re Phoenix Throwing.

See you in the ring!

Top Top