masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

The entries close tomorrow. Is this a good meet for discus throwers? I've seen some excellent marks but was told that the meet was very casual and officiated by high school kids. This has been a disasterous season for me, and I would like to compete in a few meets before the season ends. However, I don't want to make such a long trip if the meet isn't good.

Tom Fahey M60-64

Top Top

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:50 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Discusdoc wrote:
Is this a good meet for discus throwers? I've seen some excellent marks but was told that the meet was very casual and officiated by high school kids.

Howdy DiscusDoc:

I'm considering the meet as well and will do a 200m time trial tomorrow prior to making my decision. I can't comment on the officiating but I did see that the discus results from last year are here (maybe this is what you saw already): http://www.seniorgames.net/results/2008/track/discus/

Please let me know what you decide and maybe we can get together at the meet.

Anyone else thinking of going? Can you comment on the depth? The results section only shows top 3 in each event.

Cheers,

Jim Martin

Top Top

Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I have gone just once - and it was a few years ago - officiating was poor - mostly by high school students who tried hard but did not have much understanding of what they should do. I am not a field event participant so I cannot comment about that in particular - but if they are using kids for the running events - what might they be doing for the throws!
And - probably not a sanctioned meet -I would check on that if you are concerned about a record.
Personally I would not go again unless it was to just see a beautiful part of the country and would view it much like an all-comers meet.
and - the year I went the usual facility was not available - and we were sent to a pretty inadequate track - makes one wonder if the Huntsman Games - which is held the same time each year - cannot get the best of the track facilities in town.

Top Top

Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:20 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

runfast70 wrote:
officiating was poor - mostly by high school students who tried hard but did not have much understanding of what they should do.

Thanks for sharing your experience. The Huntsman web site makes the claim that "This USATF sanctioned event is run by nationally recognized certified officials and timers."
I just called the contact number and the woman I spoke with emphasized that this was indeed a USATF and that they were required to hire officials. Perhaps things have improved since you were there.

Quote:
the year I went the usual facility was not available - and we were sent to a pretty inadequate track

Can you remember what track you went to? The web site says events will be held at Snow Canyon High but I cannot find any details such as the track surface or number of lanes.

Cheers,

Jim

Top Top

Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I do not recall what track it was except that it was not the one they usually used- and it was pretty substandard. I kept hearing that the usual track was much better.
I am glad to hear that they are now using USATF officals and are sanctioned -NSG take note! I might consider going again. St. George is beautiful and the games very much supported by the entire community. I visited one of the parks when there last time - and would love to see more of the area.

Top Top

Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:52 am

Master Masters Athlete

Discusdoc wrote:
The entries close tomorrow. Is this a good meet for discus throwers? I've seen some excellent marks but was told that the meet was very casual and officiated by high school kids. This has been a disasterous season for me, and I would like to compete in a few meets before the season ends. However, I don't want to make such a long trip if the meet isn't good.

Tom Fahey M60-64

I know I'm late, but I went one year and swore I would never go again. You were told correctly. We probably started the discus competition about 4 hours after the posted time, the year I went. Add in the high entry fees, and I would not place this one high on your list.

Sorry to hear about your year.

Top Top
  Profile WWW