masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:19 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Here is a link to the article where he claims he is the fastest baby boomer on the planet. He should race the young guys like the article says and throw in Willie Gault for fun.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,220013

Top Top

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:04 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Boy! Am I glad I'm a pole vaulter. Admittedly not a very good one but one just the same. Apparently runners and sprinters aren't as welcoming as the vaulters are (much to the credit of guys like Bubba Sparks, John Altendorf and Gary Hunter). If Bob Seagren were to post that he picked up a pole after all these years and cleared 14 feet (which would make him the best vaulter in his age group) we as vaulters would congratulate him and welcome him back and implore him to come and join our geezer vaulting community. You guys ought to take a page from our book and invite Darrell into the masters community. If I were him, after reading some of the things printed I'd say "screw you guys, why would I hang out with a bunch of folks who don't want me there". Think about it guys and gals. Later..........Mike

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

In the field events there is a lot of down-time between attempts, and this leads to more fraternization between competitors. Your focus is also a lot more internal...it's "how do I get myself over this bar" whereas runners (especially sprinters) are more concerned with "how do I beat these guys next to me".

So I would agree that there is a different attitude between the two groups. But given the circumstances, I think that there are many vaulters out there that would have a similar reaction if the roles could be reversed.

Did you read the linked article explaining how phony 40 yard dash times can be?

http://legacy.signonsandiego.com/sports ... forty.html

It's hard to make a direct comparison to the vault, but I'll try. What if Seagren said he put a bungee up at around 10' and cleared it by at least 4 feet. Then he proclaimed himself to be the best vaulter his age in the world.

If you ask me, that's just bragging and asking for trouble. Now in both cases they could be 100% accurate in their assessments...they very well could be the best. But if you want to make a claim like that you better be ready to back it up, and you better be ready to hear some criticism until you do.

Top Top

Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:23 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Just sayin' you guys would have more fun and enjoy the experiences of masters athletics more if you were more like us. Won't you all be surprised if he really can do a 4.43 and wouldn't it be wonderful that a 50 year old guy could do a 4.43? For you guys....maybe not. The issue and the attitude kind of reminds me of the 30 to 40 something beer league slow pitch co-ed softball player that does a "cleats up hard slide into second base" to prevent a double play. I'm just saying you'll never get him on the track with the "reception" that you all are giving him. I guess that is one way to eliminate competition. Later......Mike

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

While I think that 40 times can be iffy at times. This guy was the fastest man in the NFL for years - not just self proclaimed but actually raced several times in Hawaii at the pro bowl if I recall. I am guessing that he is pretty competitive and I would love to see him do it. I think it would help masters track sprint exposure too. That is what I was hoping for. I hope he shows up and hope he's still really fast. I'm sure he's still faster than I am and I'm 15 years younger. I also understand frustration with guys of all ages talking about how fast they are without proving it. Again, I want to see him prove it; that would be exciting.

Top Top

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:29 am

Junior Masters Athlete

No chance Darrell Green ran 4.43! Have any of you seen him lately? Lets just say that he isn't exactly sporting his playing weight. I bet can't run 4.6!

Top Top