masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:15 am

Junior Masters Athlete

For those of you interested in the biomechanical and physiological determinants of sprint performance with aging, take a look at a PhD study conducted at the University of Jyväskylä (Finland). The dissertation is available (for free, pdf) at digital archive under:

http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-951-39-3613-6

JT

Top Top

Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:40 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

This serious study from Jyväskylä University is otherwise more directly accessed via:

https://jyx.jyu.fi/dspace/bitstream/han ... sequence=4

Obviously, much of this has been said before in various ways. But the study is really something. It is worthy of a lot of consideration and more important - let's act on it.

If anyone in Sweden is interested, I can be a contact point in Stockholm for discussion on this study and related initiatives concerning weights-related training for sprinters and jumpers. Hör av er.

Thanks JT and Ken Stone.

Top Top

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 am

It is a fascinating and wide-ranging scientific study. Coincidentally I will be competing (for Sweden, as a foreign permanent resident of Sweden) at the coming 19-21 March 2010 Nordic Masters Championships at Jyväskylä. I will try and get more on the specifics of the weights and strength exercises mentioned in the Appendix of Paper VI. The sprint training programme is clear.

Top Top

Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:43 pm

My takeaways after skimming this long thesis. (1) It's mostly about "ups" -- recover as much plyo, vertical as you can; (2) Lots of increased strength translates into a little extra speed for the 100m and less so as the distance increases -- nonetheless 25% increase in strength and 2% increase in speed is possible in 20 weeks, if you do it right (and start at the right level).

Top Top