masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:13 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Ken, on December 27, 2009 you reported that World Masters Athletics (WMA) President Stan Perkins had confirmed that there had been a second positive drug result at the 2009 Lahti World Masters Championships. What became of that story?

Top Top

Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:14 am

It was the American M50 sprinter Val Barnwell of Brooklyn, New York who tested positive for testosterone prohormones at Lahti. Thank you Ken for the USDA press release:

Quote:
INDEPENDENT PANEL ISSUES TWO-YEAR SUSPENSION TO U.S. TRACK & FIELD ATHLETE, BARNWELL, FOR DOPING OFFENSE

Colorado Springs, Colo. (March 3, 2010) – USADA announced today that Val Barnwell, a Masters track and field athlete, has received a sanction for testing positive for a banned substance at the 2009 Masters World Championships in Lahti, Finland.

Barnwell, 52, of Brooklyn, N.Y., tested positive for testosterone prohormones in a sample collected from him on August 3, 2009, after winning a gold medal in the 200 meter event at the Masters World Championships. Testosterone prohormones are prohibited as Anabolic Agents on the World Anti-Doping Agency Prohibited List, which has been adopted by the USADA Protocol for Olympic Movement Testing and the International Association of Athletics Federations (“IAAF”) Anti-Doping Rules.

Pursuant to the IAAF rules, the case of this U.S. athlete was referred to USADA for adjudication. The sanction is a result of a decision issued by an independent, three-member, American Arbitration Association/Court of Arbitration for Sport (“AAA/CAS”) panel, which heard evidence during a February, 25, 2010 hearing. The panel, in an Interim Order issued on February 26, 2010, found that Barnwell had committed an anti-doping rule violation for his use of testosterone prohormones and that no exceptional circumstances justifying a reduced sanction were present. The panel’s full written decision will follow, including a reasoned award, and will be posted on the USADA website upon issuance. In its Interim Order, the panel issued Mr. Barnwell a two-year suspension beginning December 11, 2009, the date he accepted a provisional suspension.

In an effort to aid athletes, as well as all support team members such as parents and coaches, in understanding the rules applicable to them, USADA provides comprehensive instruction on its website on the testing process and prohibited substances, how to obtain permission to use a necessary medication, and the risks and dangers of taking supplements as well as performance-enhancing and recreational drugs. In addition, the agency manages a drug reference hotline, Drug Reference Online (www.GlobalDRO.com), conducts educational sessions with National Governing Bodies and their athletes, and proactively distributes a multitude of educational materials, such as the Prohibited List, easy-reference wallet cards, periodic newsletters, and protocol and policy reference documentation.

USADA is responsible for the testing and results management process for athletes in the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Movement, and is equally dedicated to preserving the integrity of sport through research initiatives and educational programs.

─ # ─
Erin Hannan, Communications & Outreach Director
Phone: (719) 785-2009

There is no defence for this. Barnwell's conduct is a total disgrace to masters athletics.

Top Top

Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:04 am

I don't understand why anyone would dope at age 52.

Top Top

Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:58 am

I am interested in three WMA-related issues arising from the Val Barnwell suspension. These issues have been and are being mentioned in Ken's Blog. I take them up again here now because they will shortly be overtaken by events on the Blog and disappear from view unless we flag them:

1. Should Val Barnwell's 4x100m and 4x400m relay USA teammates retain their gold medals?

According to Ken Stone, WMA President Stan Perkins says YES. I would respectfully but firmly insist NO. But for some reason nobody wants to pick up this hot potato on the Blog.

There is a clear precedent here from the Marion Jones doping affair. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) in April 2008 ruled that the US women's 4x100m and 4x400m relay teams should be stripped of their medals won at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. This was confirmed by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in December 2009, although - and I am uncertain here- it may be subject to another CAS hearing now after the February 2010 Vancouver Olympics. This hearing may be because Marion Jone's teammates had appealed citing an IOC rule that no Olympic decision could be challenged more than three years after the closing ceremony. In the Val Barnwell case there can be no such alleviation.

Logic and common sense is all against Val Barnwell's USA teammates retaining their relay gold medals. You just cannot have 7 gold medals from one M50 4x400m relay race. It simply does not make sense. The WMA President is way out of line and it is embarrassing for masters athletics.

I mentioned the WMA President's position during training this morning to a prominent Swedish masters athlete. That masters athlete commented. "It is things like this that make it difficult for people to take masters athletics seriously."

2. Should drug violations carry a WMA lifetime ban from masters athletics? I think so. I want our WMA-affiliated national federations to push for a lifetime ban.

3. Should athlete Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) use be declared and available to fellow competitors at a meeting? Again I think so and I would also like this to be implemented in coming WMA World Championships.

Top Top

Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

It is my understanding that applying for a TUE in advance is no longer necessary. If an athlete is tested and tests positive for something that is allowed with a TUE - then the athlete has to produce evidence of medical necessity. At least this is the case for WMA meets. I understand that WMA has had difficulty finding someone willing to accept responsibility for vetting all the submitted TUEs from masters. This is a new protocol - and maybe it will not last but it makes sense to me. Many of the requests are for an asthma inhaler which will now be allowed up to a certain amount - that obtained by one puff. Any amount in the test above that amount would be prohibited.
This is my understanding of the new rules for masters. I do not know if it is the same for elite athletes - not being one I do not read all of there rules.
To make a blanket statement that athletes who need medications for reasons of health that are on the TUE list should either make this public is a bit like suggsting that we have a public lynching of these folks. There are a number of medications on the TUE list that do not really enhance performance at all if taken in the prescribed amount. Mr. Treacher is suggesting that we mark these athletes with the scarlet letter.
As for a life time ban - why not just take those who test positive out and shoot them - regardless of why they failed the test -trying to cheat or taking a cold medication for a cold that has a bit of a prohibited drug in it.
Zero- based tolerance is a draconian policy that does not allow for errors. It treats everyone as worthy of the death penalty. There is a heck of a difference between what Val did - to obviously enhance his performance and what an asthmatic takes to deala with bronchial spasms by taking a puff of an inhaler or someone who buys the wrong kind of cold medication that contains what is a masking agent - and not a ped.

Top Top

Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:27 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Whilst not wishing to discuss the merits or otherwise of the case alluded to,as a veteran in the older age groups one does find it rather pathetic how seriously some of the younger veterans(or masters if that is what they prefer) take the game.This is not too recent a phenomena but appears to be growing.Drugs,for God's sake!!
Lighten up and enjoy the way we did when veterans was invented. :lol:

Top Top

Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:22 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I agree to just relax about taking masters seriously.

But, come on, HGH and roids has been used and abused by athletes of all ages. Drug testing just about doesn't exist in masters. You want to do them, have fun with the side effects.

I do love the outrage, Anthony. Shocked, just shocked.

Top Top

Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:46 am

Peace and Love.

Top Top

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Anthony Treacher wrote:
It was the American M50 sprinter Val Barnwell

It'll be interesting to see how fast he goes when/if he returns to the track.

Top Top