masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:50 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hallo everyone, I am a South African female, 41 and a few kilograms too heavy...:)
I really want to start training again but I need help/ advice, PLEASE?
A few years ago I started training- with my "self-made" program, I got hurt- pulled muscles etc.... got scared and stopped.
Now I've lost some weight and am a bit older...and hopefully wiser...LOL!
BUT I still really want to do athletics again.
I've done research on internet, but all the info is confusing me and the training programs seem to be for young people. I can't train like that, especially when starting again after few years of doing very little (I do play netball twice a week).

I want to do sprints- 100 and 200, I love/ (am terrified of) the 400. Would really like to do 400, but am VERY unfit! Also I'm considering High Jump.

Can anyone PLEASE help me with a training program to start with?
I dont belong to a club, cant afford the gym fees as I have been retrenched last year.
I have to train on my own, at least for now. I live close to a high school and have a basic home gym?

I would appreciate any help,
Thanks! Yola in South Africa

Top Top

Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:59 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello Yola,

I agree with you about most of the training programs being developed for younger runners. The first thing you should do, is get a good coach this year. It will keep you from being confused and asking whomever for some advice over the internet.

Second, you need to develop your endurance, before jumping into fast workouts under 400 meters. Next, you should move your training over into some speed endurance training.

After that Yola you can develop your real speed, but take your speed endurance with you. I don't run the 100 or 200 at meets, but I can drop a 11 flat at the end of a 400 to 5000 workout.

If you need a coach, feel free to call or e-mail me and we can talk. I work with runners from 100 meters to the Marathon.

runingmanjoe@aol.com

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:42 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello Yola,

I’m a USATF Level II sprint coach with USA Track & Field. I coach the sprints from 100m - 800m. I’ll coach the 1500m if I have too :cry: . I coach members of the Athena Track Club and Kathy Bergen just to name a few. I’m also a master’s competitor and compete in the 100m, 200m, and 400m. Give me a call or visit the clubs website to get an idea of who I am. www.TachyonTC.net
Hope to hear from you soon,

TachyonTC@cox.net
http://www.TachyonTC.net

Top Top
  Profile WWW