masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi All

The entry lists have been issued for the European Champs in Hungary:

http://evacs2010.fidalservizi.it/search ... mit=Search

It looks like my event will have semis and a final. I assume they will be seeding the runners in each event. Can anyone confirm this? Are there standardised rules as to how final qualifiers are decided for the 800m (e..g top 4 in each heat or top 2 plus 4 fastest)?

Sorry, for the dumb questions.

Anyone else going?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:13 am

Master Masters Athlete

Andrew,

Not a dumb question. You'd think it would be easy, and there are WMA rules on this stuff, but believe me, it seldom is!

On seeding, the WMA rules say:

"In WMA Championships 1,500 metres and under, the initial round, if required, there shall be seeded heats (based on best times
recorded in competition the 2 years since the previous WMA Championships, or a lower best estimate because of injury or noncompetition,
and supplied by the athlete on the official entry form) in which the top seeds shall be distributed as evenly as
possible and in which members of the same Affiliate shall be distributed as evenly as possible.
Initial round qualifiers, and all subsequent rounds shall be as per the WMA qualification procedure (Appendix K) with the
object of advancing the best competitors to the final"

This comes from here:

http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/ ... tition.pdf

The Appendix K, which is key to answering your question about advancements is at:

http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/ ... /app_k.pdf

The advancement procedures are almost always included in the Competition handbook you will get when registering at the stadium. These should match the WMA rules, but there have been occasions when they have not. Team Managers usually check for this, and it never ceases to amaze regulars how creative organisers can be, given that all they actually need to do is apply the WMA rules.

So far as seeding goes, this seems rather more hit and miss, despite the WMA rule quoted above. That's because of a number of factors, eg:

- athletes entering events for which they have no recent (or any) performance on record
- National Federations forgetting to declare times and distances for some athletes
- athletes not stating their performances on entry forms, but getting away unchallenged on this even when they will be known to have times/distances available.

And so on. The organisers can only seed with what they are given, which is seldom the whole picture.

Hope these bits help.

England

Top Top

Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 am

Master Masters Athlete

And just a post-script to this to prove one of my points. I've just looked at the M55 100 entry list on the Link Andrew provided. I see I am there with no declared time. Strange, because I filled out my entry form properly, and my best 2009 time is on it.

England

Top Top

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:17 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Tom

Thanks very much for the comprehensive answer - much appreciated. A fellow athlete at my club is in the same situation as you - submitted a time but it's not on the website and now he's concerned about his seeding.

I wish I could update my time now as I knocked over 2 seconds off it recently, but it sounds as though what I have done since the entry submission is largely irrelevant.

Best of luck.

Andrew

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:09 am

Master Masters Athlete

Yeah, there needs to be some sort of cut-off point for seeded performances, to produce as near a level-playing-field as possible, though. More people fail to live up to their entry performances than improve on them, I suspect!

I've asked Team Management here to advise on the position where a time was given on the entry form, but hasn't been listed. I'll try to remember to post the answer.

England

Top Top