masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:52 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Talk about an under served segment of the population, what are we, chopped liver? I guess when you turn 60 you're supposed to sit down and shut up. Screw that.

I'm a retired advertising guy who intends to make up for all the years I spent behind a desk by being an athlete now. I live in Haiku, Hawaii (on the island of Maui) and Hood River Oregon--two of the most sports oriented places I've ever been. I've taken up surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, stand up paddleboarding for surfing, distance racing and downwinding. I also do a bit of bicycling, I'm working on my swimming, and looking at track and field. Too heavy to be a runner probably (240, 6'2"), but I'm getting pretty fit and strong. Competition of any kind makes for fine goals for me.

Nice to meet you folks. I need to read up on what you've all said here and steal some of your ideas. I've been building an online magazine called Xtreme Geezer as another hobby--I like to keep my mind cranking and learning how to build websites, write code, and write articles is what I do in the early hours when it's too dark to get in the water. Since I don't really know all that much I rely on experts in forums like this to supply ideas and information.

Great to find an active forum on masters athletics. I've done a lot of looking, there isn't much out there. Nice to find you all.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I weighed 230 last April and I'm now competing in the indoor season at 198. If you want to compete bad enough lose the weight and start competing. If I can do it so can you. It's the best thing I ever did I love the competition. Tom T.

Top Top

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

tankertom wrote:
I weighed 230 last April and I'm now competing in the indoor season at 198. If you want to compete bad enough lose the weight and start competing. If I can do it so can you. It's the best thing I ever did I love the competition. Tom T.

Yeah, what Tanker said! I'm 6'2" and was 230 in 2001. I now compete at 180 and feel great. In fact, I'm 10 lbs than my senior yr of high school! And lemme tell you another thing: It feels so awesome to run fast, just as good as it did when you were ten yrs old!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top