masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:57 am

Master Masters Athlete

I wasn't going to say anything about this but I feel I need to. For those at the recent indoor nationals that saw me with a yellow ribbon on my jersy, I wanted to say thank you to all of the friends and competitors who asked about it, and supported my efforts to dedicate my 800 meter race to a friend of mine who is battling incurable cancer. It's hard to dedicate 35 years of friendship into a 2 minute run but I can tell you he really was excited to hear of the results. He has supported my running for many years and when we were younger kept me away from the drugs and stupidty that engulfed many members of my family. I wanted to win a gold medal for him Sunday but I have to settle for second place. I can tell you that the race and Larry's battle has taught me that you don't have to finish first to win gold. Because of Larry and other personnel and health issues in my family I'm stepping away from track for now. I don't know if I'll return but I hope so. I will miss it. But going out with so many asking and supporting my effort for Larry means I can walk away on top....even with second place. For those who klnow this story...again thanks. For those who don't I hope this will bring inspiration to you if you are facing the same thing. The 2 minutes of pain and effort in the 800 is so small compared to the pain and effort my friend and his family endure. Thanks again to all. It was a very special weekend.

Run Hard...Have Fun

Rocketrod

Top Top