masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Sacramento worlds will be a blast, I hope. But since it might be a blast furnace as well, we'll need to support each other. This forum category is open-ended. Use it to connect with friends, offer suggestions on where to eat, raise concerns about the meet and highlight remarkable performances.

This Forum is all yours.

Go for it! :P

Top Top

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:05 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have to give Kudos to the Sacramento people running the meet even before it starts. They learned a lot of lessons from last years Nationals about the heat and lack of shade during the afternoon sessions. They have taken athletes and spectators concerns and improved the schedule and meet.
Small things like sending your implements to the track was an outstandings idea. I wish them good luck and hope everyone sents a PR.

Try contrasting the Worlds in Sacramento with the Senior Games in Houston. The NSGA should be ashamed of itself for their lack of planning. No schedules for events until a week before the event. Please ! It's only every other year and they can't ever seem to get it right. Just my observations !

Buzz z z z zz z z z z

Top Top

Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:01 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for doing this! I'm looking forward to hearing folks' perspectives. :P

Top Top

Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:05 am

Junior Masters Athlete

U.S. Athlete Social
U.S. athletes are invited to a informal get-together on July 10 (7-9 p.m.) at Buca di Beppo (1249 Howe Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95825). A buffet including a variety of pasta dishes, salad, and drinks (soft drinks, tea, coffee) will be available. The cost is $15/person. To make your reservations or to find out more information, click here (payment is required at the time of reservation). A limit of 150 tickets will be sold.

Gary Snyder

Top Top

Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:36 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I guess it's all relative. I for one am not exactly thrilled at seeing flights of my age group decathlon starting at 9am on Day One and then again at 8am the next day. I am the first one to admit I am not much of a morning person but it seems to me that having an event like the 110HH going off at 8am isn't going to do much for scores. Even if, rather when, I am able to be up and about and alert and ready to go that early my body has never been particularly flexible, which last time I checked was somewhat important when hurdling. :roll:

I've heard similar complaints in the past from pole vaulter friends of mine about certain local associations having them jump that early. I understand the issue of heat, and last year at nationals it absolutely KILLED me in the 1500, so it would seem to me that the solution would be to have the combined events start mid afternoon so that the 400/1500 comes up at late afternoon not long before sunset.

Top Top

Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:02 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I agree Dave. I'm in M40 Decathlon. Sounds like you are too. How do you know if you are in flight one or two?

Sounds like you are in flight 2. I e-mailed them over a week ago asking and have not gotten a reply.

I just hope being up competing that early is going to pay off by avoiding the hot sun later in the day.

Top Top

Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Spiller, I think you won't know which flight on Day 1 until you check in as a competitor when you arrive for your athlete's package. My reading of the athlete's manual tells me Day 2 will reseed the athletes based on point total, so I am going with the assumption I will end up in flight 1 on Day 2 if not Day 1 as well. :wink:

Oh well. Best I can do is to get up early and start doing some of the conditioning training that early and hope it carries over.

Top Top

Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:42 am

Junior Masters Athlete

As a competitor? in M65 Decathlon I want to thank all my fellow competitors for making this a truly memorable experience. There was mutual support, constructive advice given, clapping, high-fives, a real sense of comraderie. There was no nationalism displayed just respect for a fellow athlete who you wanted to perform to the best of his ability. This is what it is all about!

Top Top

Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:29 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I can't add any more to that. The officials were great, the competitors, the venue was decent except for the pole vault, and well that's that.

Top Top

Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:52 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Management of this meet was so excellent (compared to most I've attended) that I had to dig deep to find something to complain about... but I succeeded: the guys who programmed the electronic scoreboard need to read up on official abbreviations for SI units -- "meters" (a.k.a. "metres") are abbreviated "m", not "Me".

Also, there seems to be an unresolved disagreement between scoreboard and other media about whether the fair sex should be abbreviated "W" (scoreboard) or "F" (everywhere else). I suspect this is a political issue of some sort that I don't comprehend: they both seem equally offensive in the obvious way (Women or Female) so how does one choose a lesser evil? I would suggest (at the expense of one extra character) abbreviating "men" as "XY" and [the fair sex] as "XX". So I'd be in "XY65" etc. What's not to like? (I'm sure you'll tell me. ;-)

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:28 am

Master Masters Athlete

Had a great time. The 60M hammer was incredible and enjoyed both the prelims and finals.
Only problem, crappy meet supplied hammers. Plus we kept breaking them.

Watched the 60m 10k and even helped keep lap times for a friend.

Officials were terrific.

Top Top