masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Because we (meaning I) forget 90 percent of what we feel and see at major meets, I invite you to use this forum as a permanent archive of your thoughts about 2013 Porto Alegre worlds. Spare no details. How did your event go? How were you treated by officials? Where did you stay, and how did you get to and from the tracks?

Thanks for sharing!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was not at the WMA meet in Brazil but plenty of my friends were, and they posted their accounts on social media. It sounds like there were some wonderful performances and fun times, and our hosts were accommodating and friendly. Having said that, there are also some stories coming out about sub-standard and potentially dangerous facilities and equipment, a breakdown in athlete transportation, and conditions that were hazardous to the safety of the athletes--one resulting in serious injury, and others that were potential close calls. We masters athletes should be contacting the President and VPs of WMA and demanding greater oversight to insure all future world championship meets be conducted in a manner that will not be hazardous to either participants or spectators. This was shameful. What if you went to a meet or other sporting event where your child was participating, and noted such conditions? Wouldn't you immediately protest and demand that conditions be made safe for the athletes? I know I would.

Here's the website page with addresses. http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/addresses Be professional and courteous, but let our governing body know that we deserve safe conditions and satisfactory venues and support for our world championship meets. My letters are going out this week. I hope those of you who agree with me with do the same.

Sincerely, Liz Palmer

Top Top
  Profile WWW