masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I report on my blog that a portion of the upcoming fee hike for USATF adult members will be devoted to masters programs.

See: http://masterstrack.com/blog/001010.html

So the question is: How do you want to see this money spent?

Prize money at nationals?
Better communications with the grass roots?
Seed money for associations lacking good masters programs?

It's your USATF. Tell 'em what you want.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hum - how to spend the additional money on masters track - prize money - well - there is a tiny bit for national masters x-c - the 5k x-c championship gives out some $ for the 3 top age-graded performances and also some team prizes. It does irk me a little that the younger masters age groups teams get money 3 deep while the older ones get less money and only one deep. But that is the price we pay for getting older and having the clock still running and the finish line not taken down before we old birds finish! There is not a great deal of respect out there for masters who are visibly slowing down among younger masters athletes who just "know" that will not happen to them.
As for prize money at national masters track meets - perhaps based upon age-grading. And for both field events and track events separately. How about age-graded prize money for multi-event athletes too, they are the wonders of the track and field world in my eyes.
I would oppose using much for "elte" travel expenses - the point should be to encourage more and better competition, not to underwrite those who are coming anyway.
I do not have a grand scheme in mind but certainly some effort should be made to institute masters competition in those parts of the country where it is sparce.

Top Top

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I like the idea of using the money to help Dave with the rankings. Maybe the the possiblity of paying him to expand the effort to establish a world rankings list?
And, of course, I need travel money...hehe

Top Top

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:07 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I don't want to see it going to prize money because in a way I think that to do so goes against what masters athletes are really about. I think the money should be spent on promoting the sport and supporting the associations that are lacking in masters programs. If the associations had money to promote the sport beyond what is currently in place, maybe participation would increase, which in turn would increase the money coming in, which can be used to further enhance the sport.

Top Top

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:10 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Before rewarding the athletes, perhaps you should take better care of the officials.

Quick Silver
Hong Kong

Top Top

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:20 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree. We should devote some of this money to the officials. I think the way the officials were treated in Charlotte at the banquet was disgraceful. While many of us were waiting for our events in air conditioned hotels, they were exposed to the elements in balmy North Carolina. We can't have good championship meets without them. Let's take better care of them.

Tom Fahey

Top Top

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:11 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I don't think prize money is necessary-God knows we're not in it for the money..
I think the web site and The Masters Track News are the "glue" that keeps us together and the rankings are the positive reinforcement that fuels our competetive nature and keeps us coming back. I would use the funds to keep this going or expand upon.

Top Top

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I thought it was great that one was able to donate to a fund for the officials on the entry form for the nationals. Does any one know how much was contributed and how the money was distributed?

Also, it is interesting to note that the 10k masters cross country championships were able to get a significant amount of money donated to distribute as prize money. I think each age group winner (male and female) received $1800 and the best age graded male and female received $2500. Not sure of the exact numbers, but I thought the amounts were much larger than usual. Does anyone know how many entrants there were or how this contributor was approached/convinced to donate so much money? I imagine the numbers were significantly lower than the number of entrants at Charlotte. It would be so cool if we could get even half this much donated to encourage and support the officials and treat the many volunteers.

Top Top

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I assume that the comment about the big $$ for the "10k x-c " referred to the one last February in NY. I do not think there was any such big bucks for the National Club Championship in Rochester last December. And I do not recall seeing such big $ going to the older age group athletes. I think I would have noticed if that was going to happen. The masters races at the winter meet are an afterthought - the meet is to select team members for the World X-C meet. There is some prize month for the National Club Championship but nothing of the sort mentioned. Most of the money goes to the open runners and some trickles down mainly to the 40-49 year old teams, with diminishing amounts to the older age group teams and deeper for men than for women. No master runner is getting rich going to those races.
As for how additional funds should be spent - I agree that we need to make sure the officials and the announcer receive better treatment first. Making them stay in dorms and eat dorm food might be great in Eugene - but in Charlotte it was pretty bad - in Honolulu - they got better dorm rooms than the rest of us - but they should be given decent housing and meals and not treated like indentured servants.

Top Top

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:15 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Please see:

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUi ... 5_07_29_47

Top Top

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:24 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I think some of the money should be used to help send the top Age-Group National winners to the World championships. The U.S. needs better representation at the Masters T & F World competitions.

http://home.usadatanet.net/opeyton

:roll:

Last edited by OPSprinter on Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:26 pm

Master Masters Athlete

ok - road race big bucks and mainly for age-graded performances, I did not think that big money was available for x-c - as few care about those races. I do not think the money raised from masters dues should be used for that sort of thing - if the race committee can get sponsorship - great - but otherwise dues money from masters should be used to promote masters running in general - not just hand out a big check to a few people at a championship road race or any race for that matter. Perhaps there could be age-graded money awards at national masters track and field meets - for a variety of categories - track, multi-events, field events, as these all require a variety of skills. How can one compare a pole vaulter with a sprinter?
What I would hate to see is money awarded to the club with the most points at a national track meet - that is such a bucket of worms - and will really fan the flames of discord over national recruiting vs association clubs.
Or maybe the money can be used to help support track meets - and pay officials something for their time and committment. Or run workshops for athletes - especially in the skill events such as jumps and throws or race-walking. Lots of folks do not have good coaching available.

Top Top