masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:24 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi Ken

How does one rid a sport of one of its biggest evils - self-serving, power-seeking, uni-lateral decision-making administrators who either have never been athletes (or below average ones) and then elevate themselves into positions which don't serve the sport or athletes. I am a masters athlete and have served masters athletics in my country with a passion (I believe), but have now decided to just be an athlete after 9 years in administration - it sucks ! :evil:

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Have anyone in mind down Safrica way?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:23 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

There is a solution to this problem, but it probably will never happen. Active athletes have to get involved in serving as administrators--I did this myself 7 years ago--because I figured I had no right to bitch and complain unless I served and tried to be part of the solution. Unfortunately, there are very few good athletes that will give any of their precious time serving. I don't see an end to this situation because it takes athletes giving of their time in a very thankless manner--I give thousands of hours to USATF Masters each year only to take major critisim from those who choose only to compete and blame others for the current state of our sport. It will take a collective awareness to rise out of our situation--I suggest that athletes show more appreciation for those doing the work and less criticism--because that is what wears down that person down and causes them to quite--we have some major issues facing us as Masters--we loose several officials every year and will be faced with a shortage that will impact the Masters Program drastically--we will also be loosing our spot on the USATF National Board by 2008--we need to work on unifying our efforts instead of pointing the finger at others for our problems.

Top Top

Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:16 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I would probably say this is more of an issue for international Masters events than those I have experienced in the United States. Nadine ( I think) had a thread over on PVP regarding how the woman's pole vault event was run at the Worlds and how bad it was conducted. Now, keep in mind that I'm a novice to Masters competition, but I have experienced nothing but super officiating and administration at the meets that I have attended. From our local summer league meets to Boston and Charlotte, the officials in my event were great. They stuck by the rules of the event and yet definitely let me know that they were there for us the competitors. Maybe I've gone through all of my meets with rose colored glasses on but, as for me, I can say nothing but good things about the officiating that I have seen at the meets that I have participated in. Later.........Mike

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:57 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Ken Stone wrote:
Have anyone in mind down Safrica way?

I've been promoting your website for years, so am hoping the culprits read it themselves... and "if the shoe fits..... "

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:18 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I have never competed in the pole vault at the worlds and I don't know what thread would have given that impression. However, just to be clear, I am forever thankful and indebted to all officials, volunteers, and coaches at every meet I have participated in. Sometimes there are different interpretations of rules or standard errors, but I think every official is doing the best they can. All have been very supportive and kind to me. I am often embarrassed to be a pain in the neck, as each record attempt means lots of extra work measuring and remeasuring. No one has ever complained. In fact, most tell me that it is an honor. Running the pole vault event is time consuming and a lot of work (and I am reminded of this each time I assist at a meet.) All officials deserve lots of thanks and perks, especially the pole vault officials. I would like to see an increase in dues to provide as many perks as we can.

Top Top