masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:06 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I've just returned from a very pleasant weekend in Sendai at the all-Japan Veterans' Championships. The stadium was spectacular, as we have come to expect in Japan, the competition was of a high standard, and deeper than we usually see outside the WMA championships. It's no wonder the Japanese can always field strong teams.

But I would like to mention particularly the officiating. As usual in veterans competition (and open competition for that matter), the officials were a pretty elderly bunch. But they had track teams from the local high schools taking turns helping out with the minor officiating chores (running back the javelins, etc.). As the weekend progressed, you could see many examples of the experienced officials helping these kids understand how throws are marked, how racewalks are judged, and so on. This is an example we should all take to heart. Most of these kids will probably quit running after high school, but perhaps a few of them will stay in the sport as officials. It's important.

As Ken noted on his blog, Willie Banks was rather the star of the meet. I was warming up, and so only saw some of his practice jumps. It seems Banks speaks some Japanese. He was certainly a hit with the high school kids.

Quick Silver
Hong Kong

Top Top