masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Tracksters...Dartmouth Relays, Masters run Jan 5 (friday). It was a great meet last year. Joe Johnston and I are coming up from Florida and will ski the day after the meet if the weather permits! Go to Lancer Timing website for online entry or enter day of meet. It is a terrific facility and well managed meet. Hope to see you there!

Top Top

Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:45 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hopefully the weather will co-operate between now and Jan.6th. The month of December has been unusually warm in New England. Not much in the way of snow fall yet, even up north.

Top Top

Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Carl Wallin & Co. did a great job putting on the meet. It was my first time there and I was most impressed by watching Carl "the Coach" and Carl "the Athlete" run around the place and still be able to compete.

Thanks for the great job! I hope to throw Masters & Open next year (I have some work to do but that's a nice goal to set).

Jim B

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

My first time there and I really enjoyed the meet. I wish we could get more women competitors.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was the first athlete Carl coached (officially). He was throwing for the US Army in 1969 and stationed in San Francisco. They hired him as the throws coach at San Francisco State for the season.

I wanted to go skiing that season but Carl discouraged me. He said, "Skiing is something you do when you finish throwing." Carl and I are still throwing. I do a lot more throwing than skiing.

Carl Wallin is an inspiration. His passion for the sport as an athlete and coach is unequaled. I am proud to call him my friend.

Top Top

Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I use to enjoy the Dartmouth Relays and I too wish more women masters would participate. I ran the 1500m race with 18 other competitors - ages 37-71- 16 males, 3 females.. all of us on the track in one heat. Hip numbers were given out by age,oldest to youngest, male then female. The starter must have noticed that the older gentlemen were in front and asked us to sort ourselves out by time! (they had not asked for seed time) A minute later we were ready to start- 3 deep at the start line and he told us to count our own laps.
The first finisher ran about 4:47 - and lapped the field several times, as did several other younger men. That must not have been much fun for them to have to run around the rest of us slow pokes. The finish line clock was stopped at 4:47 and not restarted, no verbal splits were given - the rest of us were on our own - not only to count our laps but also to figure out our splits. The official with the lap cards just walked away after the first few runners were done and the rest of us had been lapped at least one. A few had friends calling out time at the start line of the race. Those of us who had not brought along personal lap counters and time callers were left to our own devices. One competitor was told to stop after he had probably run a couple of extra laps so I am told.
I have run the 1500m at Dartmouth before in a sizable group, the prior year I was the only female in the event in a heat of 12. That time there was an official at the start line calling out the splits so if they stopped the clock at the finish line I had a notion of how I was doing after the first male finished up. 19 competitors on the track at one time is a roller derby, not a track race especially when there is a substantial difference in the pace being run. This is not a respectful way to run a race. Only the faster runners get split times, the rest of us - well who cares.

Top Top