masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:49 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I recently had the pleasure of a brief visit with Boo Morcom in Sunapee, NH. Boo had suffered a mild stroke, which affected his balance, and then he fell and fractured a hip. He uses a walker and is confined to his quarters. His son and granddaughter visit and provide for him daily. His mind is still sharp as always and the wonderful stories keep on coming. I’m sure Boo would love to hear from his “track & field friends”.

RICHMOND “BOO” MORCOM 603-763-7489
27 Prospect Hill Rd.
Sunapee, NH 03782

Top Top

Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:15 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was fortunate to have been with Joe on this visit as we were in the area for the Dartmouth Relays! I found Boo's stories spellbinding and wish we had more time to spend. I found it alarming and disheartening that an ex Olympian could end up trapped in a third floor apartment with no elevator in the building, and although the care he receives from his family is great, I wish there was a rehab center for Olympians that would aid someone like him. I think we both felt he could benefit from rehabilitative physical therapy. My own mother had a stroke and broke a hip as a result but was back on her feet in less than a year at 86 because of the excellent facilities here in Florida. Sunapee is a small town but America should take care of Olympians like Boo when they need help. I wonder how he would get out if the Apartment building caught fire and I shudder at the thought!His stories were enthralling and the sparkle in his eyes told you that this man has much more still to share. I will write him and thank him for sharing with me and I hope others will too and old friends will drop a line to let him know they care. Meeting him was a magical experience for me!

Top Top

Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Does Boo do Internet? Does he have an email address?

Top Top
  Profile WWW