Login | Register

Should all places get the gold?
Poll ended at Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:08 am
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 5

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

This is my second year running Masters Track & Field and I enjoy it. The competition is worth the time and effort to train. My question is why in Boston this year did they find it necessary to give everyone that placed a gold medal. I earned a Silver medal in the long jump but I received a gold. I felt like that cheapened the first place winners position. I know that we do this for fun but on that day the other guy was better then me and should have received the only award that has been recognized as first place and that is the gold medals. I'm just curious what others think about this.

Top Top

Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:32 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I just chimed in with my No vote.

I would imagine all masters athletes would be mature enough to recognize they benefit from their training whether they 'place' or not. Improved health and quality of life are the reward everyone gets for their effort - regardless of performance.

As for the competition aspect of our sport - I believe it does diminish the feeling of accomplishment if all rewards are the same regardless of mark/time/distance etc etc...

Top Top

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:29 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I was a bit surprised when I went to pick up a silver medal and the color was gold. The explanation I got was "that's the only color they shipped to us." There must have been a mixup somewhere. I can't think that only gold medals were purposely ordered.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:53 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I know better than to order a one size fits all medal.

The order arrived a week before the meet. The golds looked okay, there were enough boxes to total up to the full order, so there was no inspection to see that silvers and bronzes were also included; why would anyone think otherwise, given the good service of the company through the years.

Not something that was expected, but there wouldn't have been enough time to get the required colors even if it was discovered, given they were custom design with multiple color. If we ordered generic USATF logo medals, the other colors might have been re-ordered, but a unique design has been part of the meet since 1997 here.

We've authorized cans of spray paint and will hand color silver and bronze for the demanding customers.

Steve Vaitones

Top Top

Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:17 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

That's one heck of a good explanation - I'm new to masters track and made my reply to the thread based off of not knowing if this was a standard practice at meets. I'm happy to hear that it isn't and it was just an order mistake.

I commend you on the fact that you have unique medal that is specific to your particular venue.

Top Top

Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:33 am

Master Masters Athlete

I'm glad someone could explain it! It had me very confused. I had never been to a meet before and everyone got the gold. LOL.

Top Top