masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:56 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I spoke with the great Henry Rono yesterday. He just turned 55 and ran 17:48 in the Carlsbad 5K last weekend. Anyone unfamiliar with Henry should know that he was the greatest of the Kenyan's in the late 70's and early 80's. He had a long stretch of time where alcohol dragged him down , but now is becoming a force. Watch out Nolan Shaheed - as his weight continues to drop , so will his times. Henry - your example inspires !!

Top Top

Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I wrote to Nolan shortly after Carlsbad, and he replied:

Quote:
Hi Ken. Carlsbad was a lot of fun for me as it always is.The weather is ALWAYS PERFECT and the competition great. I didn't run hard this time though because I ran hard the previous week at indoors. I didn't meet Henry although I really wanted to but Sunday was HIS day and I didn't think sharing his glory would have been appropriate and I love the excitement he's bringing to Masters Track & Field. I was VERY surprised at how fast he ran and you should have seen his finishing kick! He was MOVIN'!! Running a sub 5 this year is probably a stretch but I hope he does it or comes close. Is seems former world greats never remain too serious after the cameras and reporters leave. i.e. Johnny Gray , Emanon Coglan, Dwight Stones, Steve Scott, etc

If Henry can lose another 15-20 pounds, he'll be amazing.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:31 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Henry was an inspiration for me when I first entered the sport in the '70s and to hear that he is still at it today is once again inspiring as I attempt to re-enter the sport. Thanks for letting us know.

Dave

Top Top