masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:19 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I want to go to Nationals this year but it pretty expensive coming from California. Anyone have any travel advice/recommendations?

Top Top

Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

Trust me its expensive coming from everywhere. I'm in Alabama.

Top Top

Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

We're flying into Boston from Sacto and renting a car for the drive to Orono. Air tickets to Boston are more reasonable than those into Bangor or other smaller airports.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:28 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am actually going to skip the nationals this year because of the cost. I would love to be there but the prices are ridiculous. I hope next year we can move this meet too a place that can be reached by airplane and not horse and buggy.

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:44 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I am gonna kind of groan..why do they have the national meet in the extremes of the US? Travel is a bit more, in fact I am contemplating on on whether or not I compete. It's probably a lot more for some of you other guys from the western portions of the US, which does not include the jacked up hotel prices that week. How does USATF do it? Do they have Universities bid on the locations? If so I can see why the extremes get the gig for the week. IMO the National meet (Indoors too) should be centrally located in the heartland so we can include more competitors. There you'd find easier access, travel is cheaper and the weather is usually warm and predictable. Just a venting session...thanks!

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:46 am

Senior Masters Athlete

ihurdle wrote:
I want to go to Nationals this year but it pretty expensive coming from California. Anyone have any travel advice/recommendations?

check into flying into Houston, jumping onboard a Southwest flight or Delta, fly into Manchester, NH and drive for 3-4 hours :roll:

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

Next year's outdoor nationals are in Spokane, WA and Southwest Airlines flies into Spokane. Start saving those Rapid Rewards points! :wink:

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:50 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I suggest flying to Boston and driving up the coast. I think Orano is a great place for the Nationals. It is reasonably close to a big city (Boston), the weather is nice, the facilities are good, and the food is great. This will be my 10th National championships since I began competing in masters. My favorites have been Hawaii (because I threw far there), Eugene, and Orano. My least favorites were Disneyland (Orlando) and North Carolina. But, the meet is always fun wherever it is. I was throwing further 10 years ago, but I guess that's life.

Tom Fahey Thrower M59

Top Top

Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:20 am

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm with you Coach and Simpdog!
These remote locations are a bit rough on the money tree.....especially the ones without leaves. I'm only going to Maine becuase I received a free airline ticket for giving up my seat while leaving Charlotte last year. :D A central location would be more convenient for everyone. Perhaps we could volunteer to help the location selection committee. Maybe we could research and provide them with potential sites. Then perhaps we all could have enough "leaves" to travel.
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Maine. We'll find a way to have fun no matter which corner of the earth they put us!!! :wink:
Linda

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

My money tree says no for this year plus I have a little injury. Always want to do my best on the big stage so everyone have a good time at the meet when if finally gets here.

Top Top