Login | Register

Should the Master Track & Field break away from USATF
Yes 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
No 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
We can't make it with out USATF 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Over the past few moths I have heard in several different places that the Masters as a group should break away from USATF and create there own governing body. Many have said it is because USATF does not promote masters Track and Field only the elite and the youth sports. I thought it was time to bring this to the forum for discussion. I am sure it will be a very lively one. So here’s the new topic lets here what we as a masters group have to say..

Top Top

Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:18 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Why quit when there is alot invested, in both time and money. Should the Master group become more vocal?

The threat of leaving can still be used but maybe finding out what the percentage of USATF members are Masters and use that as leverage.

I haven't been around it that long so there may be issues that I am not aware of......I do think this is a growing group and the numbers could make a difference.

It is important to have the elite athletes get what they need to compete but I think that the Masters as a part of USATF can be a good thing.

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:49 am

The example of the British Masters Athletics Federation (BMAF) comes to mind. The BMAF is independent of the British national federation UK Athletics (UKA), the equivalent of your USATF.

The BMAF construction does have its advantages. It is encouraging to be a masters athlete with likeminded officers dedicated to masters athletics. You will not have put up with those ageist regular athletes and their scornful (actually envious) big-paunched athletics coaches and officers with their unhealthy fixation on the elite and the young.

But the disadvantages overweigh. First, a small entity does not have the critical mass - sufficient personnel resources – to do its job properly. In that situation it cannot even answer e-mails. You will not get your legitimate concerns addressed in a reasonable time, if at all. Second, without the constraining influences – the admirable American system of checks and balances, the rights and appeals procedure of your parent organisation the USATF - your new independent masters athletics entity will develop into a ridiculous, chauvinistic, flag-waving, little dictatorship intent on suppressing you. So please vote No.

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:46 am

Master Masters Athlete

Very interesting comments so far. I think as a group we should stand up and let our voices be heard. Lets face it we are a small group. But we do have a voice and we really need to let the USATF understand that the masters love to compete and we just would like to have a larger voice in the organization. Remember this we are elite in our own way. I have seen men and woman as young as my Grand mother and Grand father competing in some of these master meets. That in itself is elite!
:lol:

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:03 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

It appears to me that for female masters over 60, the breakaway has already occurred. There are 33 entrants in the Senior Olympics W65 100 meters in Louisville. At the 2006 USATF championships there were 5 entrants. I have a feeling that there will be even fewer this year. At the indoors, I was the only sprinter/jumper in my age group. I have always tried to support the USATF championships. The organization has been great for and to me. But, for 2008 my energies will go towards the Senior Olympics.

Most of us compete for a number of reasons. Personally, I love the thrill and adrenaline rush of competition. I am so thankful for all of the ladies in my age group that are still doing this stuff. I think we share a kindred spirit and are sisters in that. But, my sisterhood at the USATF nationals is getting smaller and smaller. Yet, the numbers in the Senior Olympics get larger and larger to such an extent that there will be more competitors there in my age group than at the world championships.

I wish there were some way we could get the word out that the USATF masters exists. Whenever I am interviewed, I view that as one of my responsibilities. However, not one reporter has been aware that there is a distinction between the Senior Olympics and the USATF Nationals. Friends and family that know what I do immediately ask about the Senior Olympics. USATF has missed the boat somehow. I get the impression that we ‘’oldsters” have been an embarrassment to the USATF. Instead, they could have used us to generate lots of publicity. Each of my “sisters” is amazing, with an inspirational story to tell.

Top Top

Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:38 pm

for what it is worth, I could not see a 'Masters only meet' or a masters only championship at my local level, I doubt that the participating attendance for Masters could justify having a meet.

So if the masters would split from USATF, what would that mean? , that there would be no meets that are run with USATF participants or officials ? , this I can not see.

I do admit can be frustrating waiting two hours or more after your field event has been scheduled while all of the youth participants go first, but I can not see a break away from USATF

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Instead of having the masters championships in obscure locations (Orono and Hawaii) , How about hosting it in a mid to large city more frequently?, You would get more participants even if locally and that would be a good thing.

Top Top

Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:31 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree on the two points that you made. Hosting the meets in better locations for the championships would bring a larger attendance to the National Championship. Hosting it in cities that are big on the sport would be even better.

I also agree about the wait time for the youth. It would be great if meet director realize it will take allot less time to run the master then it will to run the youth. I think we know how to get in our bocks and stay in our lanes by now.

Top Top

Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:23 am

We have a nice setup for throwers that is in its 10th season. The Twilight Throwers have a 6 week schedule and conclude with a Weight Pentathlon on July 8th.

Just became an official club this year and I've been working on the website for the meets (if you have comcast there are some connection issues....free website, can't complain too much) you can check it at twilightthrowers.110mb.com

My point is that if you look at this weeks results, the ages run from 11 to 83! All different skill levels, men and women, and everyone is willing to give pointers. I'm just learning Jav, Hammer and Weight and it's been a blast! It doesn't have to be an All Master event.

So, the young and old CAN co-exist!!!!! This is a great model and Jim Chamberas, founder and meet director, deserves alot of credit for all his work.

Hope I didn't go too far off track (no pun intended) but this is an example of what you can do if you try...and USATF on the local level helps make this possible by posting the meets on the schedule.

Jim Burgoyne

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

Good idea. I wonder if anyone else has ideas like this that we as masters can use to improve our situation across the country.

Top Top

Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:47 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Yup, I'm with Nadine. I am going to National Senior Games and there are over 20 women in my age group (50-54) in the 100, 200 and 400. At the Indoor Nationals there were 6-8 in the sprints. I can't understand why? I haven't been to the NSG yet, but certainly the USATF meet was well run and reasonably priced. There's no qualifying standard so is it that women are feeling intimidated away from the event? It looks like there's plenty of men in the older age groups at USATF Masters. Where are all the women?

Why are they choosing NSG over USATF?

Top Top
  Profile WWW