masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Planning to compete at my first Masters National meet in 2008 in Spokane in the steeplechase (M30). Spokane Falls looks like a decent facility.

Anyone have any info on it?

Also, do most people stay in dorms or the hotels?

And, do most people stay for the whole meet or just go up for the events they're competing in if they're only on a day or two?

Anything else I need to know?

Any help for this greenhorn would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:52 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Mellow J,
Information about the Nationals usually comes out 4-6 months before the meet. If this is your first Nationals I would encourage you to stay for the entire meet. However the length of my stay and where I stay for the duration (dorms or hotel) depends on my budget.
Be sure to acquire your USATF card so you can particpate in the meet. Train hard and if possible enter more than one event. Most importantly, have fun.
See you there!
Geotay

Top Top

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

Geotay,

Thanks for the helpful info. I'll try to stay as long as possible but, like you, it depends on budget. See you in Spokane...

Mellow Johnny

Top Top

Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Mellow J - Maybe I'll see you there. It's close enough next year for the drive up. The biggest concern is my moving up to the M40 next year. It's the most competitive group! Ahhh yes, the key is to have fun!!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:34 am

Master Masters Athlete

"It's the most competitive group"

Boy, isn't that the truth...I find a lot more competition from the 40-49 age group in races than from 25-34 generally. The 40-49 category usually has a lot more depth of great competitors.

Top Top

Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:43 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

i went to maine a few years back for my first masters championships with a few running buddies from florida and we stayed on campus. it was just like high school again. we had a ball staying with other runners and eating on campus and i was in the 35-39 age bracket at the time.

ive taken a year off to heal a replaces ACL, and i plan to come back with a vengence this summer. i wont be going to spokane, but watch out 2008 nationals because i will be there.

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:49 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Spokane Falls is a community college that does not have dorms. You will need transportation from your hotel to the meet site. :(

Top Top

Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:17 am

Master Masters Athlete

thanks for the info, threek

I was wondering about that since while some CC's have dorms, most of them in the Northwest don't.

A friend who went to Wazzu and has spent some time in Spokane told me to stay downtown since that's the nicest area. Is that close to the community college?

In any event, paying for hotels, I'm thinking 3 nights maximum for me and more likely 2 (the night before my event and the night of the event). It sounds like when there are dorms, they have them for a reasonable cost to the athletes.

Top Top

Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:27 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I've only been to a few national meets but each time there were several hotels that had special rates for masters athletes, plus they were accessed by a shuttle to/from the competition facility. So wait until the info for Spokane comes out on this website, and you and your budget may be pleasantly surprised.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:25 pm

Master Masters Athlete

If the athletes don't mind a small commute, I would recommend staying somewhere in Coeur d'Alene Idaho, which is about 30 miles to the east of Spokane along I-90.
It is a very beautiful area.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

We were just up there in August for the Nationals Weight Pentathlon.
The Red Lion had a $109 a night USATF rate. I had a tower room. Been $400 a night anywhere else.

Nice downtown by the river setting. Spokane Falls had the throws area fairly close together. I think the shot landing area was crushed brick.

Nice place to throw. Weather was beautiful.

Top Top

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:23 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

how many years did it take those throwers to crush enough bricks to make that landing area?

Top Top

Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:23 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

how many years did it take those throwers to crush enough bricks to make that landing area?

Top Top