masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:39 am

"Waiving the rules" at a WMA World Championships. Who broke the rules at the 2006 WMA Indoors Linz?

After a bit of arm-twisting on my part, the WMA's Rex Harvey informed me in mid-2007:

Quote:
From the facts that we are aware of, the procedures used to conduct the 4x200 relay at the WMA Indoor Championships at Linz were not in compliance with IAAF rules.

That means - in plain English - SOMEONE broke the IAAF rules."

WHO broke the IAAF rules?
    * British M65 Athlete Anthony Treacher? He refused to accept his Team Manager's runner who was not on the Final Call Room List. He insisted on running the formal substitute specified on the original relay Composition List and on the Final Call Room List. He told his Team Manager to get off the track.

* British Team Manager Maurice Doogan? He entered the competition area on at least two separate occasions. He attempted to introduce a runner not specified on the Call Room List. In the competition area he called his British athlete an Asshole just before his athlete was due to run a relay.

* Austrian WMA track officials, led by track managers Josef Schopf and Wolfgang Schiffmann, Meeting Director Percy Hirsch and ultimately WMA Technical Director Rex Harvey?

Perhaps the Austrians gave Maurice Doogan permission to enter the competition area?

Perhaps the Austrians gave Maurice Doogan permission to substitute a runner who was not on the Call Room List?
Who exactly broke the rules as Rex Harvey stated? The BMAF disqualified me from competition as a consequence of my complaining about this. As a fee-paying athlete at the Linz championships, I demand to know.

It is high time for a WMA officer - maybe Winston Thomas, Friedel Schunk, Rex Harvey, or Bob Fine - to come forward and clearly and honestly state who broke the IAAF rules at the 2006 WMA Indoors Linz. Or perhaps we should call in the IAAF to pronounce on the IAAF rules?

No more WMA dishonesty. No more WMA evasions. Let's get to the truth once and for all.

Anthony Treacher
M65 British Athlete and BMAF-designated Asshole

Top Top

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:52 am

One WMA document relevant to the question of who was culpable at Linz is not on record. Friedel Schunk Chairman of the World Masters Athletics (WMA) Law and Legislation Committee in a private e-mail of 20 November 2006 communicated to me the following "WMA conclusions" concerning the Linz incident:

Quote:
1. our (WMA) opinion, it was wrong for Mr. Doogan to be inside the track area,
2. that you were right to be concerned about a potential disqualification,
3. that it was not gentlemanlike for you to be exposed to a shouting match,
4. that BMAF should address the matter of reconciliation of minds, perhaps with your assistance.

Unfortunately that was the last I heard of the above. These 'WMA conclusions' were apparently lost in transit from WMA Secretary Winston Thomas to BMAF Chairman Winston Thomas. Winston Thomas subsequently covered up my legitimate (according to WMA above) complaint against his BMAF Team Manager and instead suspended me for one year.

I have long wondered about and waited for these 'WMA conclusions.' So on 16 October 2007 I sent BMAF Secretary Bridget the following e-mail:

Quote:
Bridget, I never saw any WMA document relating to the above. I must ask you.

1. Did the BMAF actually receive a communication from the WMA of the above
import - "the conclusion WMA has reached?"

2. If so, was that WMA communication copied to me?

3. If so, did the BMAF act on that WMA communication?

I was not aware of any WMA ruling on the events at Linz. It is clear that
such a WMA communication would have further overturned Winston Thomas 11
September 2006 letter to me and given grounds for the BMAF to discipline Mr.
Doogan. It would also have given ample grounds for my requested BMAF apology
for the conduct of Mr. Doogan. Had that happened I would have been
satisfied. I would have had no reason to go public and this affair would not
have taken the unfortunate course it did.

I therefore request that the BMAF rescind its unfair suspension of me with
immediate effect. I further request that you advise the WMA to lift
immediately the applicability of the BMAF ban on competition abroad.
Otherwise you must understand that I will not run for GBR and the BMAF
again.

I look forward to hearing from you. In all friendliness. Yours sincerely,

Anthony Treacher"

I sent an equivalent request the same day to WMA Law and Legislation Committee Chairman Friedel Schunk. Cushen and Schunk have not responded. That was one month ago. Why do they not respond? What is wrong with them?

Do our masters athletics officers believe they too are in some "war on terror" that entitles them to ignore all accepted concepts of politeness, decency and civil liberties in the interest of some greater good? What a terrible state of affairs.

Edited by Anthony Treacher, 2 September 2008.

Ref. WMA VP-Stadia Rex Harvey on the applicable IAAF rules on topic "Substitute not on Final Call Room List - what are the rules."

So "Who broke the rules at the 2006 WMA Indoors Linz?" British Team Manager Maurice Doogan.

Top Top