masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

If I wanted to get my name in the same sentence as that of Willie Banks, I could mention that he and I both won our events at the all-Japan Veterans Championship in Shimonoseki October 26-28. Sadly, that’s as close as I’ll ever get to Bank’s great record as an Olympic champion. He jumped 13.20 on his final attempt to win the M50 triple jump by half a metre over his nearest rival. That’s 10cm farther than he jumped in Riccione for the WMA gold medal, and a new championships record.

The nice feature of this meet is that it has a W30 category, though many women that young are still competitive in open competition and the category doesn’t attract too many entries.

Shimonoseki is a picturesque fishing harbour famous for fugu, the notorious poison blowfish eaten as sashimi. Indeed, the fugu is the local mascot, featured even on drain covers in the road. Happily, the Hong Kong team survived the trip with all nervous systems functioning as normal.

Complete results will presumably be available eventually on the Japan Masters site at http://www.j-master.gr.jp, but the site is all in Japanese. You can find the meet by the date (Oct 26-28) or by the fact that it was the 28th annual edition and so has a "28" in the title. Once you get to the results sheets you should be able to figure them out from the times, even if you can't read anyone's name. The event titles will use the English "W45", etc.

Quick Silver
Hong Kong

Top Top