masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

From my blog:

Amanda Mittleman, a graduate student at Long Beach State University south of L.A., is looking for some volunteers -- "postmenopausal women who are elite, competitive athletes . . . who are consistently exercising at moderate to high intensities for at least one half hour, three or more days a week." That means many of you. Amanda writes: "The focus of my thesis is to determine any chronic effects of high level competitive physical activity on bone mineral density in postmenopausal women by comparing the bone mineral densities between postmenopausal women who have been physically active (lifting weights, running, taking group exercise classes, etc.) and age-matched elite athletes (former Olympians . . . etc)."

Amanda continues:

The Department of Kinesiology recently purchased a DEXA scanner (top of the line piece of radiological equipment used to measure the density of bone, it's also the gold standard for of body composition measurement) so, I''m fortunate to have the opportunity to do my research right here at CSULB.

Her needs also are described in this PDF flier:
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2007/menopause.pdf

She adds:

All participants receive a free bone mineral density (DEXA) scan, which includes body composition results. . . . Participation in this project is minimal. The DEXA scan is done at CSULB (in the Kinesiology Lab) and only takes about 20 minutes. In addition, there is a questionnaire that doesn't take very long to complete.

Amanda says masters athletes Tina Bowman and Linda Cohn are among those impressed with the detailed DEXA report that they get to keep for their own records.

Top Top
  Profile WWW