masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:47 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

The fury that we’ve all seen on Ken’s Blog regarding Geezerjock changing
it’s name really got me to wondering this. Do we consider ourselves serious athletes or is it OK to just take our athletic activities seriously? There’s a difference in my opinion.
For us to consider ourselves serious athletes is somewhat ludicrous from a standpoint that most of us perform far below existing world record standards (I’m talkin’ the real ones, not the age graded “handicap” ones). Most of us have jobs, families, community commitments etc. Athletics is not our full time job. It is something we are supposed to be having fun with, something that hopefully will prolong the visit from the grim reaper and most important, something we do because we enjoy the activity and the people we compete with and against. That’s not to say what we are able to do at our age is not somewhat remarkable. For example John Altendorf’s 13 foot pole vault at 61 or Gary Hunter jumping 16 feet at 51 is very remarkable but both marks are 7 and 4 feet below the (real) world records respectively. The question is, is what we do that great that we can allow ourselves to cop an attitude about our greatness?
What precipitated this thread is I couldn’t help but notice that those who opposed the name Geezerjock for the most part might be taking their athletic endeavors, (and themselves) too seriously. For example anonymous wrote ”I don't think it's that great for serious runners anyway, but at least I'll consider paying for it now”( the copped attitude). Seriously, worldwide and at our age, anybody that can do a lap around a track is a serious runner but does that make them a serious athlete? Well? No.
So what I’d like some feedback on is what’s the consensus out there? Are we Masters athletes because we realize the activity is good for us and we enjoy the people involved with our sport, and yes, we enjoy our successes? Or are we Masters athletes because we actually think we’re great, want to win those medals at all costs both physically and mentally (like serious athletes do), and we believe that in the world of sport our accomplishments make a difference. Granted, I loaded this question up so it’s no secret how I feel about it but the question is out there just the same.
I would have tagged this on to Ken’s Blog but it doesn’t really have anything to do with the name change for Geezerjock. That’s why I put it here. Oh yeah, and Ken? If you don’t think this is an appropriate discussion topic I’m OK with that. Just jotting down my thoughts took care of my need to “blow” on this subject. I’ve seen too many “little league” Dads and Mom’s in my day to not point out that I see some of the same similarities in Masters Track and Field. That’s why I popped it on the board. …………Later……………..Mike
[/i]

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:49 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Mike, I'm as competitive as anyone you'd ever know, but the day this sport becomes serious to me is the day I quit competiing. I was a serious athlete in college until an injury stopped me. At first I was terribly depressed, then I started to feel a great sense of relief from the pressure of practices and performance, and happiness at the thought of free time and social activities. My 20 year old self learned when the joy is out of it, it's time to hang it up.

Therefore, when the fun is gone out of masters track, so am I. Happily, I don't see that on the horizon.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I'm not saying "that's what I'm looking for in a responce" because I agree with it, but rather I really want to know how people feel about this. You've given me my first answer and I appreciate it. I've met a lot of guys and gals that are both "I gotta win" and "I'm just damn glad to be here" (I'm probably the latter) athletes in the masters events I've been to. Don't get me wrong, the meets where I've won over another competetor has been great. The meets that I've been the only participant in my age group,and even though I may have PR'd, that gold didn't mean as much. I also have to say that the lowest of lows came when I no heighted at Nationals. So yes, I do want to win, but I'm not consumed by it. I'm just happy to jump at a meet that I'm not considered a joke at or allowed to jump at because I showed up. Other than that I am, "just damn glad to be there".Obviously, I don't take my self or ability too seriously but the bottom line is, I'm 55 years old and I still pole vault.
Later.........Mike

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

In addition, I always make sure to drink wine to celebrate after a meet. I think that helps contribute to the fun and enjoyment.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:15 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Looks from her avatar that lpalmer runs with the big dogs - OK, weak but I had to get that out there. :)

I know where Mike is coming from. There are age graded tables that allow us to compare our present marks to our past marks and that's where my competition lies. I’ll never catch Gary Hunter but he won’t catch me either because I’m three years older and out of his division this summer. LOL!!

I am a serious masters athlete because I make many sacrifices, train my butt off, and expect results. BUT, I don’ take myself too seriously. These are MY goals and I do not consider anyone else as I set them or train. Life does funny things to you. My best vault was 18’ 1” and my training partner, Don Curry’s was 14’ 9”. We now jump the same height and swap back and forth between who beats the other. Long ago my orthopedic surgeon told me that because of the pounding that I took when I jumped at the elite level, that my take off leg is probably 15 years older than the rest of my body. I’ve had two knee and two Achilles surgeries to prove it. I once coached the late and great Dan Borrey who jumped 12’ 6” one year and got a lifetime best the next year of 15’ 1” at 49. These things humble you but they are part of being a geezer or fossil. I’m fine with that.

To take it a step further, I know a guy who has commented more than a few times that he thinks recreational competitors shouldn’t be allowed at the big meets and that qualifying marks should weed them out. I disagree because we need spirited competitors no matter what the level. We already complain about lack of opportunity to compete without further diluting the pool. Mike describes himself as falling more into the “glad to be here” level. I can tell you from my personal experience that he is one of the reasons I love going to the big meets. He’s a great guy, super smart and has a great spirit. He makes our sport better and I know many others like that in our event. Am I better as an athlete than he is? NO! Check the age graded tables and he’s probably much better than me as compared to his prime. In fact, I’m sure he’s much better than me in a lot of areas, and I’m very happy he’s my friend. Bubba

"Hick on a Stick from Texas"

Last edited by Bubba PV on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:11 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I've said it many times: Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.

Having said that, I'm serious enough about prolonging my track career that I submitted to ACL surgery. At work, where I clomp around in this big brace, I tell them it's so I can be a track star again.

They just look at me funny.

So be it.

My goal isn't to set records, win medals or even beat Andy Hecker. It's just to "be in the game." I hate being an outsider looking in. Even if I'm slow and weak, I love being able to say I'm a track athlete. And that includes anyone who takes a lane or steps into a ring or onto the runway.

The Geezerjock debate is strange but funny, I agree. But the bottom line is that the magazine needsour support no matter what it's called. It's the first serious masters sports publication that's penetrated mainstream consciousness. Anything that helps it live long and prosper is all to the good.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:45 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Good points Ken and keep on keeping on with your rehab, training and this website! Thanks for everything you do for the sport we love. Bubba

"Hick on a Stick from Texas"

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:08 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I take what I do for the sport seriously. Other wise I would not waste my time. I realize that I am not going to set a world record. But I could not do that when I was in college so not much has changed.

You have to be realistic most people will never be in the top 10 in there respective events. Only 2% of the people in our sport break a world mark and most of the time that is far and few between. So working to break personal bests and looking to see where you rank among your peers is ok with me. The age grade table is a nice thing to have but what is important is what are you doing now and how do you rank among the people you race against now. The masters sports are all about fun but it is also about competition. I think you have to find the happy median for yourself to enjoy the sport.

Top Top

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Old people can be serious athletes— even if we don't meet the standards of Olympians. We can still be athletes and take our sport seriously. All people age and experience a gradual decrease in performance. Sport is filled with different categories that recognize basic human differences: weight classes, gender, high school, college, open, and masters. Yet, all are athletes. Is a lightweight weight lifter less of an athlete because he or she cannot lift as much as a super heavyweight? Women don't perform at the same levels as men, so we have separate competitions for them. Likewise, a 70 year old man or woman cannot compete against a 25 year old Olympian but can still take the sport seriously and train accordingly.

I had fun as a college athlete, and I have fun now. I have always taken the sport seriously. I feel good when I win and try to learn something about myself when I lose Either way, it's a great experience.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 am

Master Masters Athlete

I take it very seriously. I love the competition, not for the winning but for the meeting. Of course winning or improving records is nice but just improving my year best is very nice too. And mastering a new discipline, so fine to do!

About Geezer Jock, the word will have less negative emotional meaning than the dictionary tells, but if my dictionary English-Dutch is half right the name still is badly choosen.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:59 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I finally took the time to post on this topic, but I did it on the Pole Vault Power forum. However, since it is an open discussion here also, here is a link to my comments there.

- master

Top Top

Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:30 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Some people work out to look good.

Some people work out to feel good.

I work out to BE good.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work. But spirit is what this is all about to me, and my hackles go up when I encounter disparaging remarks about "pathetic old coots" or the equivalent sentiments. When did it ever matter whether you could win Olympic Gold or not? Anyone motivated by that alone really is pathetic.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Damn right I'm a serious athlete! I'm the greatest there ever was!! OK, obviously not since no one has ever heard of me. But I do take myself seriously. Serious enough to alter my work schedule so that I can train most days. Serious enough to push it past the point of pain in training sessions. Serious enough to spend a good chunk of change on running-related stuff.

But all it takes is a quick visit down to the local track where the "Oregon Track Club - Elite" runners are preparing for the trials to remind me I am not, nor will I ever be "The Real Deal". But I'm still having fun, and it still feels sooo cool to be and run FAST!!! :lol: :lol:

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:34 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Yes it does!

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:31 am

There will always be two types of athletes...The one who always strives for P.R's and records, greatness in his or her event, and will train intensely to get it and wouldn't have it any other way. Then you have the athlete who has an "Awe shucks..." kind of attitude, that trains dilegently, but never pushes the envelope or gets too excited. Happy to be alive and competing in something he or she loves to do. There is nothing wrong with either personality. There is a problem when we start to judge others and how they should act in accordance to how WE personally feel is appropriate. The one who strives to be great, even if it's in his or her own mind, is happy with what they are doing because that is how they are wired. The one who smells the daisies as they go by in life would have it no other way as well. That is what makes us so interesting as people and athletes. I appreciate both. I remember an old coach in my past tell me to enjoy my victories but to never disrespect my competition and thank them for the opportunity to have competed that day. "They stepped into the arena with you, head raised and looked you in the eye...he, she or they , may have not been victorious that day, but are taking the steps in becoming so. Without a defeated competitor, there would never be a winning one. They gave you the ruler on which to measure your success of the field or arena and because of that, you should always respect and be greatful to them."

Top Top