masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:16 am

And now an initiative from BMAF Secretary Bridget Cushen.

Ref - Summer 2007 number of Masters Athletics, the official Magazine of the British Masters Athletic Federation, page 5 Bridget Cushen Secretary's Report:

Quote:
Anthony Treacher, Date of Birth 17/05/39 SCVAC, an M65
sprinter was suspended for 12 months from 16 January 2007
until 16 January 2008 for serious infringements of Rules for
Competition 1(k), 22(3). It has been brought to our attention that
he has been trying to enter competitions under his Swedish club.
He may now face further disciplinary measures.

We would draw your attention to UKA Rule 1(3) Ineligible to
Compete.

That is completely nuts.

"trying to enter competitions under his Swedish club"? Since the BMAF "ban" I have already legitimately competed in Sweden and the UK as follows:
Quote:

Event Perf Pos Venue Date Meeting
60 8.67i 1 Borås, SWE 17 Feb 07 Swedish Masters Indoor Championships
60 8.70i 1 Örebro, SWE 31 Mar 07 Marsspelen
60 8.70i 1 Umeå, SWE 13 Jan 07 Västerbotten County Indoor District Championships
60 8.73i 2 Stockholm, SWE 21 Jan 07 Stockholm County Veteran Indoor Championships
200 28.1i 1 Umeå, SWE 13 Jan 07 Västerbotten County Indoor District Championships
200 28.45i 1 Borås, SWE 18 Feb 07 Swedish Masters Indoor Championships
200 28.61i 2 Stockholm, SWE 21 Jan 07 Stockholm County Veteran Indoor Championships
200 28.97i 1 Örebro, SWE 1 Apr 07 Marsspelen
200 29.50 0.4 1 Stockholm, SWE 12 May 07 Stockholm District Outdoor Veteran Championships
200 29.9 1 Peterborough 10 Jun 07 Eastern Veterans Championships
400 66.26i 1 Borås, SWE 17 Feb 07 Swedish Masters Indoor Championships
LJ 4.71i 1 Borås, SWE 17 Feb 07 Swedish Masters Indoor Championships
LJ 4.63i 1 Stockholm, SWE 21 Jan 07 Stockholm County Veteran Indoor Championships
LJ 4.57i 1 Örebro, SWE 1 Apr 07 Marsspelen
LJ 4.45 0.6 1 Stockholm, SWE 12 May 07 Stockholm District Outdoor Veteran Championships
LJ 4.30i 1 Umeå, SWE 13 Jan 07 Västerbotten County Indoor District Championships
LJ 3.77 1 Peterborough 10 Jun 07 Eastern Veterans Championships
TJ 9.13i 2 Borås, SWE 18 Feb 07 Swedish Masters Indoor Championships

According to the BMAF itself, Anthony Treacher is solely disqualified from all masters competitions under the auspices of the BMAF. The British national federation UKA and the Swedish Athletics Association have not suspended Anthony Treacher from competition.

So what is the point of Bridget Cushen's initiative? Why all this effort to prevent a 68 year-old from competing? What possible good can it do?

Top Top

Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:00 am

Master Masters Athlete

Anthony Treacher wrote:
Why all this effort to prevent a 68 year-old from competing? What possible good can it do?

Hej. Good question. What was it that they said you did again?

Hej doa!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:57 am

BMo wrote:
What was it that they said you did again?

Nobody knows for sure.

But BMo - and keep this to yourself - it must be drugs. Either that or something sexual.

Top Top

Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:22 pm

BMAF Secretary Bridget Cushen has now followed up her unprecedented public notice in the British Masters magazine concerning "further disciplinary measures" against me (above) with a letter from BMAF Chairman Winston Thomas.

Winston Thomas
Quote:
Dear Mr Treacher

Ref; Ineligibility to compete
With reference to our letter dated 18th January 2007 outlining the action taken by the BMAF to ban you for a period of 12 months. It has been noted that you competed in the Eastern Veterans Championships on the 12th of June 2007, with your results published in the national athletics magazine.

This is in contravention of the letter from BMAF, which clearly states they you are “disqualified from all masters competitions under the auspices of BMAF, both domestically and internationally, for a period of 12 months from 16 January 2007 until 16 January 2008”.

Before any further action will be taken on this matter we would like an explanation from you as to the reasons for entering the EVAC championships in contravention to the ruling by BMAF.

Should an explanation not be received, the matter will be dealt with on the present facts, as a breach of the ineligibility rules.

We await your response.

Yours truly

Winston Thomas
Chairman BMAF

I responded to Winston Thomas' disgraceful letter today as follows.

Anthony Treacher
Quote:
Mr Thomas,

Ref: Ineligibility to compete, your letter dated 18 July 2007

I am truly sorry for competing. But I had every reason to believe I was eligible to compete.

Your Jan 2 2007 ultimatum clearly defined the scope of the coming 18 Jan 2007 BMAF ban:

"I write to advise you that until there is an apology to your behaviour, we will not accept any entry from you for our domestic or international championships (BMAF-WMA-EVAA).”

The EVAC Championships were not a domestic BMAF championship and thus NOT under the auspices of BMAF. The EVAC Championships were arranged by EVAC and OPEN to bona fide, paid-up club athletes – such as myself - qualified under UKA and IAAF rules.

Otherwise, my reasons for entering the EVAC Championships at Peterborough on June 10 were:

1. I was in England to attend the June 8 marriage of my best friend.
2. I was in England to pursue family genealogy with roots in Norfolk close to Peterborough.
3. I needed competition after a period of illness. The June 10 EVAC Peterborough championships fitted in perfectly.
4. I had requested the EVAC for prior permission to compete, with specific, well-discussed, up‑front reference to the terms of the BMAF "Suspension".
EVAC gave me clear and unequivocal confirmation that I was entitled to enter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Anthony Treacher
British M65 Athlete and BMAF-designated Asshole

Please recall that I made the original complaint to the BMAF concerning the rules infringments, verbal abuse and unsportsmanlike conduct by the BMAF Team Manager at the 2006 World Masters Indoors, Linz.

Will the international masters athletics community allow the BMAF to get away with all this?

Top Top

Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:51 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Quote:
But BMo - and keep this to yourself - it must be drugs. Either that or something sexual.

You're funny AT! It seems to me those crazy European brothers of ours are taking themselves a bit too seriously IMO.

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:39 am

Anthony was eligible to compete

As reported in other forums, the national governing body for British Athletics, UK Athletics (UKA) has confirmed that I am eligible to compete in Open competitions under UKA and IAAF rules:

Quote:
Dear Mr Treacher

I am able to confirm that any action taken by the British Masters'
Federation does not affect your status or qualification to compete in
events held under UK Athletics Rules.

I can't be quite as definite in my interpretation of your situation in
so far as IAAF rules are concerned but my thoughts - confirmed by
colleagues - are that as you are eligible to compete under UKA rules and
that your national governing body has not taken any action against you
or imposed any sanctions, then you will be able to compete in open
competition held under IAAF rules.

Please let me know if you require any further clarification on this
issue.

John

John Temperton
Athletics Services Manager
UK Athletics Ltd

BMAF secretary Bridget Cushen and BMAF Chairman Winston Thomas have acted outside their authority. They owe me an unreserved apology.

Anthony Treacher
M65 British Athlete and BMAF-designated Asshole

Top Top

Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:13 am

Junior Masters Athlete

is that a valid email????

Top Top

Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:22 am

British Press Complaints Commission unable to handle complaint

On 8 August I filed a complaint to the British Press Complaints Commission (PCC) concerning the content of page 5 of Masters Athletics Summer 2007 (referred to in the first post on this thread). On 28 July I gave the editor Brian Owen "fair opportunity to reply", which is a prerequisite to filing a complaint with the PCC:

Quote:
Brian,

Bridget Cushen's attached piece on me in Masters Athletics Summer 2007 page 5 was uncalled for.

I ask for fair opportunity to reply or a published apology from you as editor of Masters Athletics.

Sincerely
Anthony Treacher
SCVAC number 2562

Editor Brian Owen has not responded to that e-mail asking for fair opportunity to reply. In my experience that is entirely consistent with the calibre of the people associated with the BMAF.

The essence of my complaint to PCC was "I submit that the references to myself, Anthony Treacher, in the highlighted box are inaccurate, intrusive and harassment all in breach of the Code of Practice of the Press Complaints Commission." The inaccuracies were that I was not suspended as alleged (confirmed by UKA) and that I was not ineligible to compete as alleged (confirmed by UKA and USATF).

The PCC responded 14 August 2007
Quote:
"….while 98% of UK publications fall under our control, Masters Athletics Summer 2007 Magazine is not one of them. It therefore has no obligation to accept our decision, or even to co-operate with our enquiries."

That means that Masters Athletics magazine belongs to the elite 2% of the UK press that may publish whatever inaccuracies it chooses and get away with it. That is very unhealthy. It again confirms the unfortunate reputation of British Masters Athletics as being an authoritarian, dictatorial establishment that does not give fair opportunity to reply and provides no recourse for appeal or rebuttal.

The magazine states: "MASTERS ATHLETICS is an official publication of the BRITISH MASTERS ATHLETICS FEDERATION and of the WORLD MASTERS ATHLETICS. The editorial policy is not, unless otherwise stated, that of the BMAF or WMA". Obviously the cited piece reflected editorial policy that was that of the BMAF. The question is how to proceed? There appear to be some options:

1. Complain to the governing body for British athletics, UK Athletics (UKA)?
2. Complain to WMA (which may well be a party in the case)?
3. Complain to the British Department for Culture Media and Sport?
4. Request that the PCC voluntarily takes up the case under its rules and that Masters Athletics magazine voluntarily agrees to co-operate with the PCC enquiries and accept its decision?

Are any of the above a viable means of resolving this matter? Grateful for the opinion of anyone versed in the combination of athletics and press ethics. Perhaps even the parties to the case - the BMAF and editor Brian Owen? Perhaps the Chairman of the WMA Laws and Legislation Committee would like to make a statement here concerning this "publication of World Masters Athletics"?

Incidentally, BMAF Chairman Winston Thomas has not replied to, or even acknowledged, my comprehensive 20 July 2007 response to his request for an explanation as to why I had (quite legitimately) competed in the EVAC championships. In my experience, that boorishness also runs entirely to character.

Anthony Treacher

Top Top

Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:41 pm

WOOPS! EVAC now says that their Championships were under auspices of BMAF… after all

I have now received the following happy letter from the EVAC Chairman:
Quote:
15 August 2007

Dear Mr Treacher

ELIGIBILITY TO COMPETE: EASTERN VETERANS AC TRACK AND FIELD CHAMPIONSHIPS 10 JUNE 2007

The Eastern Veterans AC Management Committee reviewed your eligibility to compete at our Track and Field Championships held in Peterborough on 10 June 2007.

The Eastern Veterans AC Management Committee decided that you were not eligible to compete, because our Track and Field Championships are a domestic competition under the auspices of the British Masters Athletic Federation, from which you are suspended from competition as set out in the British Masters Athletic Federation’s letter to you dated 18 January 2007.

As you were not eligible to compete, your entry should not have been accepted and you have been disqualified from all events in which you participated on 10 June 2007. Your performances have been annulled and deleted from the final results which will be published in Eastern Vet magazine.

Please return all medals awarded to you on the day.

Yours sincerely

MARK CHAPLIN
Chair
Eastern Veterans AC

Copies of this letter go to:

Eastern Veterans AC Management Committee members
Eastern Veterans AC Track and Field Championships Committee members
Winston Thomas, Chairman British Masters Athletic Federation
Bridget Cushen, Hon Secretary British Masters Athletic Federation
Charles Bartholomew, Operations Director and Company Secretary UK:A
John Temperton, Athletics Services Manager UK:A
David Brown CBE, Welfare Officer UK:A

Well, EVAC could have told me that when I applied in good faith couldn't they? Because the EVAC Secretary and EVAC Chairman had fully gone over all this with me with reference to the BMAF's "until there is an apology to your behaviour, we will not accept any entry from you for our domestic or international championships (BMAF-WMA-EVAA)" and the resulting disqualification (not suspension) "I now confirm that you are disqualified from all masters competitions under the auspice of BMAF".

What on earth does "auspices" mean here anyway? Does EVAC get BMAF funding for its otherwise Open championships under UKA and IAAF rules? Does EVAC get material or personnel assistance from BMAF? How many are on the august EVAC management committee? Were they unanimous? No good me trying to ask EVAC those questions.

Someone obviously moved the goalposts in the 12-day interval between BMAF ultimatum and BMAF disqualification, so that "auspices" now means more than the BMAF ultimatum I accepted "we will not accept any entry from you for our domestic or international championships (BMAF-WMA-EVAA)". Pity nobody told me.

I also note that this letter is not an EVAC letter of apology, which it could well have been. In fact, under the circumstances that I was a fee-paying athlete guest at their championships, I find it downright unfriendly.

Hey you. In your obvious glee at denying me my results, medals and what not - you forgot to say sorry and that you will refund my entry fees.

Just to think that all this started back in March 2006 with a complaint from me about rules infringements, verbal abuse and unsportsmanlike conduct by my own BMAF British Team Manager at the 2006 World Masters Indoors, Linz.

Welcome to the world of British masters athletics. And to think Great Britain is to host the 2012 Olympics. Bluddy 'ell.

Anthony Treacher

Top Top

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:58 pm

After all the bullying, the BMAF now decides it will not be taking further disciplinary measures against a 68-year-old for competing.

I have received the following BMAF letter dated 30 August 2007:

Quote:
Dear Anthony

Thank you for your letter dated 30 July. My apology for the delay in responding, due to pressure of work and an overseas visit.

We have now investigated the circumstances regarding you competing in the EVAC Club Championships and I now write to confirm that we will be taking no further action against you.

We hope to see you back in BMAF competition after 16 January 2008.

Yours faithfully

Bridget Cushen
Honorary Secretary

Mmmm....... Thanks for nothing Bridget. Whether I hope to see you lot again is more doubtful.

Anthony Treacher
M65 Athlete and BMAF-designated Asshole

Top Top

Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:43 am

The British Press Complaints Commission (PCC) did investigate my complaint - as far as it could

Concerning my complaint about a notice in Masters Athletics Summer 2007 magazine, I wrote on this thread Aug 18 2007:
Quote:
"There appear to be some options:
4. Request that the PCC voluntarily takes up the case under its rules and that Masters Athletics magazine voluntarily agrees to co-operate with the PCC enquires and accept its decision"

In fact the British Press Complaints Commission (PCC) agreed to act on that voluntarily basis. The PCC found that my complaint fell within the terms of its Code. The PCC then made a formal assessment as to whether the complaint warranted a full investigation. Apparently it did because the PCC then sent a copy of my complaint to Brian Owen the editor of Masters Athletics magazine. The PCC then sent me a copy of the editor's response to PCC for my comments with the following

Quote:
The Commission has now received a response from Masters Athletics, a copy of which is attached.

You are aware that the magazine does not subscribe to the organisation which funds the PCC and, as such, does not fall under its remit.

In this instance, it does not appear that the magazine considers any remedial action to be necessary and has firmly stated its position. Before a decision can be made as to how to move forward in this matter, I should be pleased for any comments you wish to make in response together with any suggestions you have for the resolution of the case, which I am happy to pass onto the magazine. In the event, however, that no informal agreement can be reached, I am afraid that the Commission’s involvement will have to cease.

(Out of fairness to Bridget Cushen I should mention that the editor's response did point out that Ms. Cushen was not the author of the notice about which I had complained.)

I then sent my brief comments to the editor's response, enclosing the following previously drafted attempt at reconciliation with the BMAF (this was now 5 September 2007):

Quote:
"An immediate end to it all?

The IAAF, UKA, WMA, USATF, EVAC, SCVAC - the athletics world you name it - would probably like to see an immediate end to the BMAF-Anthony Treacher conflict.

Improbably enough, that moment had now arrived. It is up to someone to seize it.

The British Press Complaints Commission (PCC) is investigating Anthony Treacher's complaint against the editor of Athletics Magazine Summer 2007 concerning Bridget Cushen's page 5 article.

An investigation means that the PCC initial assessment suggested a possible breach of the PCC Code.

Whatever the PCC's final ruling - and although Masters Athletics need only accept it on a voluntary basis because the Magazine does not contribute to the self-regulatory fund financing the system - a PCC investigation is a serious matter. It has potential for embarrassment for the BMAF and the reputation of British athletics.

The BMAF could utilise this potentially embarrassing situation to its benefit. Anthony suggests that Masters Athletics publish the following:

"The editor of Masters Athletics apologises to M65 Athlete Anthony Treacher for the inappropriate nature of the article concerning Anthony on page 5 of Masters Athletics Summer 2007.

The Chairman and Committee of the British Masters Athletics Federation (BMAF) takes this opportunity to state that it has removed the disqualification from competition to18 January 2008 imposed on Anthony Treacher. Anthony is free to compete under BMAF auspices from 1 November 2007.

In this connection, the Chairman and Committee of the BMAF apologise to Anthony Treacher for the conduct of British Team Manager Maurice Doogan at the 2006 World Masters Indoor Championships Linz."

That would do the trick. Both the press complaint and our overall conflict would be all over at one fell swoop. The BMAF has had its pound of flesh with its unjust suspension. Justice will have been done and seen to have been done. In fact the BMAF can turn a potentially negative situation into one of goodwill for the BMAF.

Otherwise, this business - now with an ongoing PCC investigation, plus the in-built momentum from having to review my ban every year - will go on for years. That is not good for anyone.

Please do not term this proposal "blackmail". It is an intelligent, fair and realistic proposal in the overall interests of the BMAF and the British athletics community and myself.

Anthony Treacher - 5 September 2007"

The above proved a waste of time. While I was prepared to take this matter to its logical conclusion according to the PCC procedures - therein a willingness to accept the PCC decision, including any criticism of myself and in the public domain - Brian Owen the editor of Masters Athletics magazine was not. And because the BMAF did not subscribe to the self regulating system, he was under no obligation to.

So the outcome was a foregone conclusion. I received a note from the PCC that because the editor of Masters Athletics magazine was not prepared to proceed further the PCC would unfortunately have to close the file.

So the net result of all this is:

1. I am hung out in unprecedented fashion, with name and date of birth, in the BMAF's Masters Athletics magazine.
2. Editor Brian Owen denies me Fair Opportunity to reply (he simply ignored my e-mail)
3. Editor Brian Owen refuses to co-operate further with the British Press Complaints Commission investigation.
4. Editor Brian Owen ignores a further - perfectly civilised - e-mail from me.
5. The BMAF ignores my attempt at reconciliation.

That is appalling - but typical of the BMAF.

However something good has come out of this. Dealing with the private British Press Complaints Commission (PCC) was a very instructive and positive experience. I find the entire PCC system of impartial mediation very civilised and I would recommend it to anyone. We can learn from this.

In a Western democracy we cannot have media - such as the BMAF Masters Athletics magazine - that can allege anything, are impervious to criticism and are completely outside the remit of any private or official controls and balances.

Out of consideration to the future peace of mind of BMAF athletes, I therefore recommend that the British Masters Athletics magazine join the PCC system and the sooner the better

A constructive alternative would be for the BMAF to join the PCC system on behalf of all the BMAF regional clubs and their club newspapers. I understand that the BMAF could subscribe to the self-regulatory fund on an umbrella basis that comprises all the BMAF regional athletics club newspapers for quite a reasonable sum, probably under £150 per annum, paid half-yearly.

For the Cousins reading this. I am not sure what press complaints procedure you have in the US and Canada. I would certainly recommend something along the lines of the private British Press Complaints Commission. Beats expensive litigation any day. If anyone wants further information, please contact me.

By the way, please, please no more condescending homilies advising me to lay off for my own best. I have a valid story to tell and I will tell it. If you don't like what you see, just turn off the TV. Or ask the mediator to remove it. And if you are a friend, sorry and give me a call when you are next in Stockholm.

Top Top

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:57 pm

British Data Protection Watchdog ICO throws out Date of Birth publication complaint - text edited out

Concerning my complaint to the Information Commissioner's office (ICO) - complaint now back on track

I have today 8 July 2008 received the following letter from the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO):

Quote:
"Dear Mr Treacher

Thank you for your Case review complaint email 8 July 2008.

The matters you raise will be passed to a manager in the Casework and Advice Division who should send you a detailed response within 28 calendar days. If some reason they are unable to do so, we will let you know what is happening and when you will receive a full response.

I have enclosed the letters you asked for under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 with regard to the letters from BMAF.

Yours sincerely…"

I had sent the ICO an additional e-mail, which they have been good enough to take as a formal Case Review complaint. I have therefore deleted that last post on the thread.

I will send anyone on request the full deleted text of my post but it should not now be on a public forum. I was prompted to post it immediately because BMAF Secretary Bridget Cushen jumped the gun and sadly took it upon herself to mention my ICO complaint in an irrespectful manner to the 5 July 2008 BMAF AGM at Birmingham, before I myself had mentioned the case and before I had received the ICO letter closing the case.

Top Top

Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:07 am

In the matter of that notice about me in the Summer 2007 number of Masters Athletics, the official magazine of the British Masters Athletics Federation (BMAF) page 5, Bridget Cushen Secretary's Report, the British data protection watchdog, Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) in a 26 August 2008 ruling states:

Quote:
"On the basis of the further information that you have provided I am changing our original assessment. It is now our view that the inclusion of your date of birth in the notice about your ban was likely to have contravened the third principle."

The third principle of the British Data Protection Act 1998 states that personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

So now even a British government organisation confirms that the British Masters Athletics Federation (BMAF) went over the top.

Perhaps the next number of the BMAF Masters Athletics magazine will have the decency to carry that ICO assessment and an apology to Anthony Treacher.

Top Top