masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:16 am

Senior Masters Athlete

:D Hi all, I'm so glad to find this board.

I am very old and creaky and out of shape. 43, almost 44 female, former college high jumper. I've been itching to get back to it, and decided to try this spring, even though I'm nowhere near in shape for it. I'm working out every day, though, I figure I gotta start sometime.

I know absolutely nothing about how to compete at Master's level. I've been emailing some sources, trying to get info. (no one's responding)

Tell me if this is correct: I join USATF and then enter the meets I want? I want to try to travel to Raleigh, Charlotte, Savannah, Atlanta, possibly. My husband is very happy to accompany me. We live in Wilmington NC.

I asked my DH if he would help me train. He immediately said Yes.
I asked him if he'd go to meets with me. He immediately said Yes.
I asked him if he'd buy me a high jump pit. He immediately said No.

One local kids' team (Jr. Olympic team) did respond and ask me to help coach their high jumpers, which will give me access to the UNCW high jump pit for practice, which is awesome.

Please, please share any advice you have for me. Do I need to join a track club somewhere? I don't think there's one here, except a runner's club.

Thanks!

Top Top

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

Go!!! I restarted at age 45 and more than 12 years later enjoy that decision every day. But it was in The Netherlands, so practical advice I cannot give.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

There is a club based in Charlotte called the Carolina's Track Club and you can find a link to their website from masterstrack.com. There are good meets in NC/SC in the summer including the Southeastern Masters meet. Go to USATF.org then click on resourses for masters and look at the meet calendar. You can also find info at the Association links from USATF...and always from the Masterstrack.com site! You go girl..help out at a local high school and they will let you train there!

Top Top

Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:51 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I think what your doing is great! You are ahead of most of us who have re-entered competition. At 44 with no training I entered an end-of-season discus meet and had a great time. I joined USATF a few weeks prior to the meet and just walked up the day of the meet, paid my 15 bucks and threw!

You really do need to join the USATF but you don't need to join a club unless you want to. It appears that most masters meets are easy to sign up for - often same day. The meets are typically casual and collegial. Your local USATF organization should help you with local and regional schedules of meets.

Training is the hard part. I have sustained several injuries since I began training in earnest last Fall. I would seriously recommend taking it slow and easy and if you can, get a trainer. So far, the injuries have been the hardest part-disappointing that my 45 yr old body just doesn't hold up like it used to...

Good luck and jump high!

M45 Discus, S Wright

Top Top

Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hi, Jumper!

Welcome to masters!

There's nothing like the sensation of floating over a bar!

Well, there is, but this is a family Forum.

My advice is longstanding: Get in shape to get into shape. Then ramp up your intensity slowly. At our age, we discover muscles, joints, tendon and ligaments we didn't know existed. So it's essential to regain a modicum of strength and flexibility.

I've spent the past dozen years making resources available to newby masters, but this Forum is now the go-to place for answers to specific questions. Congrats on finding us!

My other suggestions:

Check out the FAQ:
http://www.masterstrack.com/faq.html

Check out your local USATF association site:
http://www.usatf.org/associations/

Even call your local college for availability of high jump facilities.

Also be aware that you're not alone.

Feel free to contact other masters jumpers:
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2002/news2002dec2.html
http://www.masterstrack.com/news2007/bergen.htm
http://www.trishporter.com/

Best of luck!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:00 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

As in the recreation of which Ken dare not speak its name, the secret in veterans track is start slowly. How much did you weigh in high school? How much do you weigh today?

Rather than hoarding your 2008 vacation leave for track meets, blow it all at the start on a long backpacking trip. Toughen up, work off 10lbs, then start training.

My HK$0.02,
Quick Silver
Hong Kong

Top Top

Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:27 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Thanks very, very much to all of you!! I am repeating your words every day, and starting slowly. I like the advice: get in shape to get in shape, and I have checked out those other jumpers' sites (and emailed one). I've started coaching the little ones, and it will be fun....and challenging....but getting back to a high jump pit is worth it all. :D

Top Top