masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Unusual performances do happen. The best example is Bob Beamon in Mexico. Last season in the discus, Carmelo Rado (M70) threw 7 meters over his Riccioni performance. However, Rado was an Olympic finalist and had thrown that far about 7 years earlier. I think his performance is genuine. I question monster marks that come out of left field, particularly in athletes who have no track record of consistent performances.

Remarkable performances are extremely difficult to achieve, particularly as we age. Ken featured a video of Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Dennis Mitchell competing in an exhibition race in Japan. These were three of the greatest sprinters of all time and obviously have great genetic gifts. They are still young men, yet the winning time was only 11.6. While I'm sure they would all be great masters sprinters, they would have to work at it— hard.

Hard training builds consistency, which reduces the chance of hail Mary performances. Usually, serious athletes can only expect to perform to the level for which they are capable.

Tom Fahey M60

Top Top