masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:34 am

Junior Masters Athlete

It has been two years since I started up my track experience again after a lay off of some 28 years. And in those two years I have had a most pleasant experience. The other competitors that I have met around the country, the officials who tirelessly give of themselves and the meet sponsors/associations that run the meets I have participated in, I cannot say enough good things to adequately express how I feel. And the quality of the competitions/athletes is top shelf in my eyes.

I compete to do my best in each meet. I strive to better my marks or personel bests everytime. And without fail, at every meet I have attended in these past two years, my competitors are always cheering me on, to throw my best, to achieve my goals, and in turn I do the same.

It is the truest sence of sportmanship I can describe. What a feeling to know that your opponent wishes you the best, and are often there to give good sound advice and critiques when needed.

To share training tips and advise from the likes of Ron Summers, Mike Shairas, Tim Morse, Bill Hiney, Jay Mkeen & Charlie Roll truly honors me.

They are true champions, and in our short relationships together, they have also entrusted me with my advise as well.

The track bug has bitten me again, and I do not plan on stopping anytime soon, god willing. It brings back all my track experiences from High School and College to the present.

I guess what I am trying to say to everyone associated with the sport of Masters Track & Field, thank you for the experiences so far and those yet to come. It truly has enriched my life far more than I ever possibly thought it would and I will continue to train hard and perform right along side of my competitors, which is my honor.

Joe Kessell
Masters 50-54 Shot-Put

Top Top

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Being cheered on by your competition is by far the rule, and not the exception. Even when I brought up the rear at Spokane in my 100 and 200 heats I could hear folks urging me on!

This isn't track from your kiddie days. This is adult fun! :wink:

Thanks for posting your experience, Joe!

We're all in this together.

Top Top
  Profile WWW