masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am

Master Masters Athlete

The National Senior Games will be at Stanford next summer, which is about a 3-hour drive my my home. I will not be competing because I didn't compete in the California State Games (I had a business trip and couldn't compete). My finances were a bit short this year, so I couldn't afford to go to another state games.

I would love to throw in this meet but their rules prevent me. They should have a qualifying mark that gives athletes a pass. The mark could be high to encourage people to compete in state games (e.g., medal winners in national or world championships or All-American marks)

Top Top

Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:46 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Agreed that it is unfortunate that qualifying marks have to take place in one of their State games, but at the same time it also encourages folks to come out and compete in their events. I missed the 2007 Senior Games because I was injured at the time (2006) when most of the qualifying meets took place. This year I made sure I made it to at least two of their events in my area. I have 4 Senior Games within a two hour drive from where I live. The CT meet was early June, so I went to RI (mid June), skipped MA (late June), and also went to NH (early Aug), to make sure I qualified in the two events I wanted to compete in (LJ & JT).

Unlike the USATF Nationals, where there are usually 8-10 competitors in my age group, there should be over 20 in the LJ, and 15-20 in the JT.

While it doesn't help you in your situation, they do allow non qualifiers from their state meets, that meet the minimum standard for their event, to still compete in the national games. If someone comes in 4th or higher in a state game, with a quality mark (which is less than the AA standard in all cases), they also qualify for nationals.

Maybe if you contacted their national organization and asked for an exemption, based on your circumstances, they may allow you to compete.

Top Top

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:39 am

Master Masters Athlete

They had those at Stanford, but no way was I interested. So my cousin, who barely throws is now qualified for the "worlds". She will come by and get a little coaching first.

Anyways, my little brother ran into the same crap over at the Hunts (something) games. He didn't register the 5 years in advance, so he misses again the "worlds".

Goofy setup with limited T&F. Just go to any meet and throw.

Top Top

Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Master Masters Athlete

What really gets me is that you won't have many 50 year-olds at Stanford because you have to qualify the year before, and you have to turn 50 during the qualifying year. It's really screwy.

And I love all the meets calling themselves "Worlds". I have a buddy who is try to organize a throwing competition next year called the "Texas World Throwing Championships". Of course the name would be a total joke except that he is one of the highest ranked in the world...and he has a great sense of humor.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:19 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I threw in the Bay Area Games last year but it didn't count. Qualifying was at the State Games in Pasadena. I tried to throw at that meet about 5 years ago. I booked a flight and a hotel but they cancelled the discus because they didn't have the key to the cage.

Top Top

Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:19 am

Master Masters Athlete

Man, I'd return to my home state in a minute for that meet-even if it was just to get the shirt!!

Top Top