masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:44 am

Senior Masters Athlete

How many of you are tired of literally getting your times to compete at Nationals literally a couple days before you compete. For this year in Spokane the official times were not posted until right before I got on the plane to go to Spokane. It is like the higher ups are holding on to the times like it was a prized possession. Ken Stone was the only saving factor in getting the times out a week early

In August 2009 I am competing in the World Police and Fire Games in Vancouver BC. which is the largest amateur gathering of athletes in the world besides the Olympics. Already here in November of 2008 I have the exact date and times that I am competing.

How many of you stress whether you should book an extra day at the hotel because you don’t know what time you are competing, because checkout is at noon. There has been many times where I book the room for the last day that I compete and then I throw at 9:00 AM. So I end up either hanging around for an extra day or I leave the room after already paying for it. Or whether you should get there a day early to check in? If you knew that you competed in the afternoon, you would not have to get there and check in the day before

I think that the higher up or the schedule committee could take this into more consideration when releasing the schedule. I think that the times could be posted at least by the beginning of July . I think that they could look at the history of each event and properly gage how many people will compete. Could the schedule be backed up a little if there are more competitors? Sure, but at least we would have an idea when we are going to compete

If the California Police Athletic Federation (Organizers for the World Police and Fire Games) can post times far in advance for thousands of competitors, the USATF should be able to do it a month in advance for a 1000 competitors.

Below is the schedule for the 2009 World Police and Fire Games with exact times.

http://www.2009wpfg.ca/content/sports/T ... _Nov08.pdf

Maybe this could be addressed at the USATF meeting

Tim Edwards AKA Mr. Inredible

Top Top

Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The schedule you cite is a revelation. So many categories! Open, Senior, Masters and Grand Masters (in various age groups). However, I also note the fig leaf: "Draft as of Nov 2008: Subject to change."

The question is: How much change?

As long as the DATES of competition remain the same, the TIMES of the events are no huge deal. People can plan to get there a day in advance.

USATF should be able to at least publicize the dates of all events. And if the Reno convention passes the proposal to allow finals to take place when prelims are scheduled, it might make it easier for people to plan their travel.

Thanks for noting this. Mr. I!

Top Top
  Profile WWW