masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Just got the word that there will be no Hayward Classic this year as they were unable to secure Hayward Field with it's very full schedule of events (Pac-10's, Regionals, Pre, USATF Nationals, etc.). :(

Such a great meet and a huge bummer. Alas, I'm glad they made the decision now so we know early on and can plan accordingly.

Top Top

Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:25 am

Master Masters Athlete

That is only 4 or five meets they have scheduled, why can't they hold it again in August?
The Hayward Classic web site still shows it pending.

Sure, kick the old guy's off the track.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:03 am

Master Masters Athlete

Verbatim and I believe it would be okay to share this:

"I’m sorry to report that the Hayward Classic organizing committee has made a very difficult decision to cancel the 2009 meet. We were unable to get a commitment from the University to use Hayward Field. The alternative venues were not adequate to allow us to put on the kind of meet to which Masters athletes are accustomed."

August wasn't ideal last year being less than a week prior to the start of nationals and would be even less ideal this being that all the other meets (nationals, WMAs) are over by then.

I just listed some of the meets, obviously, but you have to also include the Oregon state h.s. meet Memorial Day weekend, regular UO meets of which there are many, and the list goes on...in addition to the regular schedule, you throw in the USATF meet, Pac-10's and regionals and it's pretty full...

Top Top

Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I hate to sound cynical, but all you have to do is follow the dollar sign.
I feel the U of O has made Eugene "track city" again, not for the runners, but for the profit it will bring the school athletic program.
The Master's meet just didn't bring in enough revenue.
This is great news if you are a runner on the national elite level, or even a spectator, but not the average joe blow masters runner.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:10 am

Master Masters Athlete

Just saw Track City has UO on their schedule for a date in June and July as well. So it's beginning to appear that it may very well be a full schedule.

Top Top

Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:50 am

Master Masters Athlete

As for me, the reason that I am saddened that the meet is not being held this year is a selfish one.

My grandfather ran cross country and was a miler at the University of Oregon 100 years ago. He ran from 1908 to 1911. His trainer was Bill Hayward.

For me it is sentimental to run in Eugene these 100 years later.
My grandpa who was hard of hearing when I was born, thought that my parents had named me "Heaven" instead of Kevin, so he nicknamed me "Kippy". I went by that nickname until 8th grade when I thought I was too "old" for it. Thinking back now with knowing who gave it to me, and knowing one of the great runners when I began running was Kip Keino, I kind of wish I would have kept the nick name.

From the few articles I have on my grandfather, I know that as a freshman he was was their top miler and cross country runner that year, running about a 4:40 mile and 16:00 for the cross country 3 mile course.

My grandpa is the one on the left.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

That is very cool. He looks like a real runner. Great legs.

Top Top