masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Check out the World rankings for 2008 in the Men's shot put 45-49 and compare it to the 40-44 rankings. The 45-49 group's top 12 are right there with the Men's 40-44. Is this some kind of oddity that happens once every decade or so? Should Masters track and field re-think lowering the weight of the Masters shot put to 6k. at 50 years old and leave it at 7.26k. until 55 years of age?. I would like to hear from our competitors from places other than the North America on this subject as well. There are three Americans in the top 12 at #3, #9 and #12, so it's not just some European phenomenon. Here is a quick rundown of the measurements in feet and inches of the 40-44 vs. 45-49 after I calculated it. 40-44 #1 throw (63' 0.5") 45-49 #1 throw (58' 6") /// 40-44 #3 throw (55' 4") 45-49 #3 throw ( 53' 1.75") /// 40-44 #7 throw ( 53' 0.5") 45-49 #7 throw (51' 4.75") /// 40-44 #10 throw (50' 9") 45-49 #10 Throw (50' 7.5") /// 40-44 #12 throw ( 50' 8.5") 45-49 #12 throw (50' 5.5") I've also added three new shot put video's on both my web page's of an old friend from the bay area of California, Rob Suelflohn and his series of rotational throws back in 1984 that he threw 70 feet. Mason Finley who is now a Senior in H.S. at Buena Vista, Co. that threw 68 feet using the spin this past January and female H.S. Junior, Adrienne Lettow of Arvada, Co. using the glide and throwing an impressive 39'+ this past February. You can see them under the VIDEOS section at www.geezerjock.com/gyrosport or www.myspace.com/ironslinger50

Top Top

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Master Masters Athlete

You sound like someone who hasn't turned 50 yet. :)

I would hate to see the weight changed and have all those 6kg performances become meaningless.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:39 pm

...I'm turning 47 in a couple of months and I'm the #12 ranking on the 45-49 World list I originally posted... The 50-54, 6k. records, marks and ranking would still be relevant if an addition were made, just as the marks when the Men's Javelin weight was shifted in the 1980's, were still valid. Those marks are now noted as 'prior to change' and 'after change'. Since nobody thinks there is anyone that wants tho throw the 16# shot past 50 years of age, set an option in the USATF for the few that do, were they can set NEW records and push the limits to what their bodies can do throwing the 16# shot...wouldn't you hate to see those that can still, or want to throw the 7.26k. shot past 50 years of age have their performances become meaningless because nobody is giving them a specific category to rank them in or a category in a Masters championships??? I personally think many are opposed to it due to ego. It would represent a threat to the gentleman who doesn't want to throw the 7.26k. and they would be viewed as lesser than, or not as worthy of an athlete compared to the heavier implement thrower. The fun part of it all is an athlete could throw both weights as he saw fit throughout the season to change things up a bit now and then. I see nothing wrong with it and it's almost ridiculous to even argue about. They now have Ultra Weight Pentathlons sponsored by the USATF for God's sake were Men are throwing 300 lbs. around. Really think about it and you'll realize it's not even a major issue. I do appreciate your reply Hadabetter and hope to hear from more throwers out there... :wink:

Top Top

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:34 pm

Master Masters Athlete

There has been extensive discussion about this on the old forum. One of the possibilities mentioned was to have two records in each age class: one with the WMA-implements, one the open class implement. As a test I tried the 7.26k myself, as a W57 or so and I remember both how heavy that thing is and my standing throw: 5.24m.
In the javelin I prefer the 600 more than the 500, one of the Held-brothers said to prefer the 800, etcetera.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:37 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree that there are a few throwers past 50 who can still put the 16 pounder out there, in-between injuries. I know one of them, but he is pretty beaten up.

I wouldn't have any problems with having 2 shot put weight classes for 50-54 but it would add a burden to meet organizers. I would much rather see a second set of records being maitained, than having the 16 lb replace the 6 kg. (If it moved up to 16 lb and the 6 kg was gone I think you would see much less participation in the event for that age group.) In the meantime, one could always throw the 16 pounder at all-comers meets, but I guess that wouldn't count for records.

Anyway, good luck to you this season. The next 5 years may prove to be eye-opening for you. Wait until you get there and you may come to understand why the weights drop at 50. If not, then my hat goes off to you.

P.S. In the competitions I've seen, the 300 ld weight isn't "thrown" so much as it is dropped forward. You sort of deadlift 300, and then swing it forward and hope nothing tears.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 am

I'm in total agreement with you as I wrote the same sort of Idea in having the opportunity to throw either weight. I wouldn't really want to replace the 6k. more so, introduce the 7.26k. Trust me ...I'm feeling the aches and pains of getting older now, but after seeing those marks on the world rankings between 40-44 and 45-49, I just though it could be an option. Thanks for the great input...

Top Top

Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:45 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

I like the idea of throwing both weights, although I do have quite a while before that happens for me. Maybe the answer is something like:
All masters competitions use the current weight classes, but also keep age group records using the open weights? Perhaps the standards for the open weight records might have to give a litte(allowing all comer meet marks).

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

We have been all over this before.

My biggest problem is the recent total screw up with the weight and superweight changes. Whole thing was a bunch of crap. And pretty convenient. Make the existing records disappear with the weight changes.

Top Top

Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:31 pm

Gary, Could you be more specific about the weight and super weight record changes. I went onto the USATF.org website and there are still records from resent and past masters records in the weight and super weight categories, indoors and outdoors. Sorry if someone did eliminated those records. That is a foolish, thoughtless and even disrespectful thing to do to the athletes that spent the time to train hard to achieve greatness, only to have it wiped away, if that has actually been done. I wouldn't want the elimination of old records or competitions because the overwhelming, vast majority of masters throwers want to throw the adjusted weighted shot puts, discus, javelins, hammers and weights and so do I one day...just add the open weight shot put for those that want to continue from time to time, throw it at an age group older than 50 for the hell of it, or seriously, and have it documented as a legitamate masters mark in that specific category... that's all. By the way, just because this subject was mentioned before, doesn't mean it can not be a relevant issue again. Just as if your brother Dan would want to give the 2k. discus a ride now and then after 50 years of age to see how far he could throw it and nailed a 155-165 footer. Wouldn't it be nice to just have that distance on record somewhere to let others in the present and more importantly, future, know that even at an age past 50, someone was still able to 'bring it' with the open weight? I hope I don't need to explain this again...No one wants to eliminate records and lighter weight implements!!!!!! ...only add an 'Open' weight category for those who want to have fun, try it again and have it documented as a masters mark in an age group past 50...does every one understand that concept ??? ...LOLOL... :lol:

Top Top

Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

The size of the superweight was dropped from 56# to 44# for over 60 men. Trying to find what the other changes were, but this was a couple of years ago. Point was, it more or less throws out what the existing records are and makes the "new" standard the record.

Don't like the reasoning or the result.

Top Top

Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:00 pm

Master Masters Athlete

And I wish I could get Dan to throw at more than just the nationals.

One meet a year doesn't cut it.

Top Top

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:55 pm

Master Masters Athlete

I think we should leave things the way they are. Perhaps we could have records for the heavy implements but we shouldn't require that everyone in the age group throw them.

A look at world class masters throwers demonstrates the changes occurring with age. People in their 40s and early 50s still look and perform like young athletes. People start going downhill beginning with the 55-59 age group. Asking these people to throw the heavier implements would drive people from the sport.

I will be 62 this year and have trained hard since my 40s. I am not the same thrower I was at age 50. I feel like Curly of the Three Stooges, who said: "I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens." I am losing horse power and speed and the implements aren't going as far. Injuries are more frequent and take longer to heal. I certainly have more respect for the remarkable performances in the older age groups.

Top Top

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:12 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I am hosting the Alabama Masters Association Championship June 6th in Birmingham. ANYONE who wants to throw the 7.26 M-50 through M100 is welcome and we will provide the implements.

Top Top

Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Now that's what I'm talking about...Just giving the obtion to throw the Open weight shot put. I'm sure not many will try, but a suggestion would be to announce prior to the M50+ group competition that they may throw the 7.26k. at the end of the regulation Men's shot put session. So if the last guy throwing is M85-89, after he's done anyone M50+ that wants to give the 7.26k. a try, for say... three throws can do so. That way the throwers will have been at least warmed up a bit from throwing earlier with their regulation lighter implements. It should go by quickly since, as many point out, not a lot of folks will want to give it a go and it's only three throws. But on the other hand if a bunch do want to try, that shows there is an interest in throwing the open weight shot put at 50+. Please let us know how that goes for you guys and if there are a few that attempt it, please post their marks on here for us to see. ...Roll Tide, Roll...!!!! :)

Top Top

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:35 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

If we have any takers I will make sure there is a post of the results. In case you're interested, we are kicking around the idea of a Masters pentathlon only track meet June 27th. There will be a little somthing for everyone. You can enter a jumpers pent (100MH, LJ, HJ, PV, TJ) a weight pent & we will have a runners pent also (events to be determined) and of course age graded. Just a little stimulus meet Southern style.

Top Top