masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ironslinger wrote:
LOL...John, I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not, but thanks for letting us know how you feel on the subject. Most won't even give an opinion either way. :wink: Milt

Although I am genetically sarcastic (you should meet my Dad), that wasn't my intent in my previous post. I was just trying to acknowledge that I kind of went overboard in stating my position. So I want to publicly apologize for playing the "ego card" in my earlier post.

I do feel that little can be proved in terms of strength or relative ability to your competiors with the heavier implements, that wouldn't also produce the same results with the lighter ones. So that was the basis of my "what's the point" line of reasoning. However, it might be nice for those who threw in their youth to see if they still have that youthful mojo. I have to be honest and say that I cannot identify with this at all because I started throwing at age 50, so I don't have those glory days to remember.

For the throwers who want to "throw heavy" I would recommend what my friend use to do. Well into her late 40's, she would compete unattached in college meets (and would often place, and sometimes win!). I understand that the women's implement weights don't change at 50, but the concept is the same.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:10 pm

John, Good points and suggestions in your last reply. I doubt the majority of Masters throwers can throw the same distances they threw as a youth, say Men 50+ throwing the 12 lb. H.S. shot and seeing if it comes near the distances of their H.S. days. A factor in some doing better than their youth as a Masters 50+ thrower is because of strength training knowledge and technique and refinement knowlege that they may have not had in the good old high school days with Coach Bubba :~) A lot of coaches back then, as well as today, were well intentioned but were there to supervise a sporting event and give young athletes their best coaching advise in the throws but didn't really have the knowledge we have today to teach the technical espects of throwing events other than pictures or T.V. footage they once saw, as well as teaching strength training knowledge. I had a H.S. coach in my freshman year that didn't believe in weight training because he believed it made athletes slow. He was a pushup, sprints, calistenics kind of guy. Mind you, he was well into his mid-late 60's in 1977. For competitive collegiate throwers, I'm almost certain most do not throw the distances now that they threw the 16#er thirty years previous if you happen to be 50+. But some do come close such as Glenn Thompson, myself and a few others that may still be within 85-90% of their best collegiate throw but we are now in our mid to late 40's and not 50 yet. I can't speak for others, so chime in if I'm incorrect. As for throwing in a Collegiate Open meet, that is a very viable obtion, one that I've done for the last 9 years, but there are a few set backs. Some, not all, collegiate meets do require a certain standard or mark you have to throw to compete if they're concerned you may slow up the meet. If a 50+ thrower is struggling to reach 25'-35' with the 16 # shot or throwing less than 100' with the 2k. discus, they tend to not be very happy about measuring and having you compete there again. If you are someone in their 50's+ like Thomas Fahey, Ralph Fruguglietti, Tom Gage, the late Lad Pataki, and I apoligize if I forgot to name other notables, they do tend to appreciate the performance as a testament to hard work, longevity and competitiveness at an older age, but there are always a few coaches and athletes that look at you and wish you really weren't there. Not because of you personally, but when you make finals and knock out a young collegiate thrower that may be a freshman or sophmore trying to get as much competitive throwing time in as possible to get better and you are the guy that bumped them out of finals...it's not always a appreciated :x . At first they seem to love watching someone the age of their dad or grandfather kick ass, but after a few meets it gets old to them. Some are thinking " Why doesn't he, or she, just go throw with the Masters?" Just like the some Masters attitudes towards having 50+ throwers throwing open weights and say, "Why doesn't he, or she, go throw at collegiate meets?" :roll: . You tend to be in no mans', or no womans, land. They want you somewhere else. As Gary John shows, there is place and something to be said for throwing the Open weights with your peers at 50+. Challenging youself in throwing what the Olympians do. It may not go far, but some get a special feeling of accomplishment in doing so. Kind of like if you went to the batting cages and instead of hitting the slow pitch softball cage you went and tried the 70-80mph fastball baseball cage...you may only hit 2 out 15 pitches but when you do connect on those couple... it's a sweet thing. :wink: Milt

Top Top

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:56 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ironslinger wrote:
As for throwing in a Collegiate Open meet, that is a very viable obtion, one that I've done for the last 9 years, but there are a few set backs. Some, not all, collegiate meets do require a certain standard or mark you have to throw to compete if they're concerned you may slow up the meet. If a 50+ thrower is struggling to reach 25'-35' with the 16 # shot or throwing less than 100' with the 2k. discus, they tend to not be very happy about measuring and having you compete there again. If you are someone in their 50's+ like Thomas Fahey, Ralph Fruguglietti, Tom Gage, the late Lad Pataki, and I apoligize if I forgot to name other notables, they do tend to appreciate the performance as a testament to hard work, longevity and competitiveness at an older age, but there are always a few coaches and athletes that look at you and wish you really weren't there. Not because of you personally, but when you make finals and knock out a young collegiate thrower that may be a freshman or sophmore trying to get as much competitive throwing time in as possible to get better and you are the guy that bumped them out of finals...it's not always a appreciated :x . At first they seem to love watching someone the age of their dad or grandfather kick ass, but after a few meets it gets old to them. Some are thinking " Why doesn't he, or she, just go throw with the Masters?" Just like the some Masters attitudes towards having 50+ throwers throwing open weights and say, "Why doesn't he, or she, go throw at collegiate meets?" :roll: . You tend to be in no mans', or no womans, land. They want you somewhere else.

Milt, I'm a 45 year old that's thrown hammer in college/open meets since 2004. Starting on Saturday, I'm throwing in 5 of them over the next 6 weeks. I tend to choose Div III meets because of two reason; there's a lot of them where I'm at (Chicago area) and my distances (38-40m) get me into the finals most of the time.

When I do make the finals, they never take a spot away from a college thrower. I think the rule (might be a local rule) is something like, "Top 8 college, plus all unattached above #8 college make the finals." One meet two years ago had 11 of us in the finals, 8 college plus 3 unattached.

I've also always been welcomed at these meets, by both the coaches and meet directors, and also the athletes. Most of the meet entry forms will state that unattached athletes are encouraged to enter. I try to make it clear that I'm not competing against them, but that I like to compete with them. There's an energy at these meets that just doesn't happen at masters meets. I love the environment!

What will I do when I turn 50? Not sure. Part of me is looking forward to throwing the lighter implements. There have been masters throwers over 50 that have thrown the lighter implements at these college/open meets. Remember, we try to make it clear that we're not competing against the college age athletes, so implement size should be age-specific.

The other part of me wouldn't mind seeing how long I can throw the 16lb hammer over 40m.

Greg Theologes

Top Top

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:12 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hey just to clarify, the womens implements DO change at 50...in my case, THANK GOD! However...I'm not so sure I will think as much of myself(ego) or my throws when I get to throw the lighter shot.

No offense here...I think it's kind of funny that there was any discussion about ego being involved in the throwing events! Are you kidding me?...This is the biggest group of walking egos ever...good , bad and ugly!! :) Please dont beat me up here! I love being at the meets...generally all guys...Testosterone City..and enthusiasm for throwing stuff far. It's a blast!!!!

OK, I'm pressing the submit button now and I am scared!

Top Top

Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Leigh, we're alike! I LOVE hanging around the "Weight Dudes."

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:57 pm

Master Masters Athlete

GTheo wrote:
Ironslinger wrote:
As for throwing in a Collegiate Open meet, that is a very viable obtion, one that I've done for the last 9 years, but there are a few set backs. Some, not all, collegiate meets do require a certain standard or mark you have to throw to compete if they're concerned you may slow up the meet. If a 50+ thrower is struggling to reach 25'-35' with the 16 # shot or throwing less than 100' with the 2k. discus, they tend to not be very happy about measuring and having you compete there again. If you are someone in their 50's+ like Thomas Fahey, Ralph Fruguglietti, Tom Gage, the late Lad Pataki, and I apoligize if I forgot to name other notables, they do tend to appreciate the performance as a testament to hard work, longevity and competitiveness at an older age, but there are always a few coaches and athletes that look at you and wish you really weren't there. Not because of you personally, but when you make finals and knock out a young collegiate thrower that may be a freshman or sophmore trying to get as much competitive throwing time in as possible to get better and you are the guy that bumped them out of finals...it's not always a appreciated :x . At first they seem to love watching someone the age of their dad or grandfather kick ass, but after a few meets it gets old to them. Some are thinking " Why doesn't he, or she, just go throw with the Masters?" Just like the some Masters attitudes towards having 50+ throwers throwing open weights and say, "Why doesn't he, or she, go throw at collegiate meets?" :roll: . You tend to be in no mans', or no womans, land. They want you somewhere else.

Milt, I'm a 45 year old that's thrown hammer in college/open meets since 2004. Starting on Saturday, I'm throwing in 5 of them over the next 6 weeks. I tend to choose Div III meets because of two reason; there's a lot of them where I'm at (Chicago area) and my distances (38-40m) get me into the finals most of the time.

When I do make the finals, they never take a spot away from a college thrower. I think the rule (might be a local rule) is something like, "Top 8 college, plus all unattached above #8 college make the finals." One meet two years ago had 11 of us in the finals, 8 college plus 3 unattached.

I've also always been welcomed at these meets, by both the coaches and meet directors, and also the athletes. Most of the meet entry forms will state that unattached athletes are encouraged to enter. I try to make it clear that I'm not competing against them, but that I like to compete with them. There's an energy at these meets that just doesn't happen at masters meets. I love the environment!

What will I do when I turn 50? Not sure. Part of me is looking forward to throwing the lighter implements. There have been masters throwers over 50 that have thrown the lighter implements at these college/open meets. Remember, we try to make it clear that we're not competing against the college age athletes, so implement size should be age-specific.

The other part of me wouldn't mind seeing how long I can throw the 16lb hammer over 40m.

Greg Theologes

Go for it! I've watched Tom Gage for the past few years, and while his distances may have gradually decreased, my admiration for his achievements has steadily increased.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:07 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ironslinger wrote:
John, Good points and suggestions in your last reply. I doubt the majority of Masters throwers can throw the same distances they threw as a youth, say Men 50+ throwing the 12 lb. H.S. shot and seeing if it comes near the distances of their H.S. days. A factor in some doing better than their youth as a Masters 50+ thrower is because of strength training knowledge and technique and refinement knowlege that they may have not had in the good old high school days with Coach Bubba :~) A lot of coaches back then, as well as today, were well intentioned but were there to supervise a sporting event and give young athletes their best coaching advise in the throws but didn't really have the knowledge we have today to teach the technical espects of throwing events other than pictures or T.V. footage they once saw, as well as teaching strength training knowledge. I had a H.S. coach in my freshman year that didn't believe in weight training because he believed it made athletes slow. He was a pushup, sprints, calistenics kind of guy. Mind you, he was well into his mid-late 60's in 1977. For competitive collegiate throwers, I'm almost certain most do not throw the distances now that they threw the 16#er thirty years previous if you happen to be 50+. But some do come close such as Glenn Thompson, myself and a few others that may still be within 85-90% of their best collegiate throw but we are now in our mid to late 40's and not 50 yet. I can't speak for others, so chime in if I'm incorrect. As for throwing in a Collegiate Open meet, that is a very viable obtion, one that I've done for the last 9 years, but there are a few set backs. Some, not all, collegiate meets do require a certain standard or mark you have to throw to compete if they're concerned you may slow up the meet. If a 50+ thrower is struggling to reach 25'-35' with the 16 # shot or throwing less than 100' with the 2k. discus, they tend to not be very happy about measuring and having you compete there again. If you are someone in their 50's+ like Thomas Fahey, Ralph Fruguglietti, Tom Gage, the late Lad Pataki, and I apoligize if I forgot to name other notables, they do tend to appreciate the performance as a testament to hard work, longevity and competitiveness at an older age, but there are always a few coaches and athletes that look at you and wish you really weren't there. Not because of you personally, but when you make finals and knock out a young collegiate thrower that may be a freshman or sophmore trying to get as much competitive throwing time in as possible to get better and you are the guy that bumped them out of finals...it's not always a appreciated :x . At first they seem to love watching someone the age of their dad or grandfather kick ass, but after a few meets it gets old to them. Some are thinking " Why doesn't he, or she, just go throw with the Masters?" Just like the some Masters attitudes towards having 50+ throwers throwing open weights and say, "Why doesn't he, or she, go throw at collegiate meets?" :roll: . You tend to be in no mans', or no womans, land. They want you somewhere else. As Gary John shows, there is place and something to be said for throwing the Open weights with your peers at 50+. Challenging youself in throwing what the Olympians do. It may not go far, but some get a special feeling of accomplishment in doing so. Kind of like if you went to the batting cages and instead of hitting the slow pitch softball cage you went and tried the 70-80mph fastball baseball cage...you may only hit 2 out 15 pitches but when you do connect on those couple... it's a sweet thing. :wink: Milt

I really like your take on the subject. The whole enchilada, but especially the part about really nailing a good throw.

P.S. When listing off some of the most awesome masters thrower, don't forget about Carol Finsrud. She has rewritten the record books as she has moved through the age groups, and personally, for me the season hasn't officially started until I have heard her yell echoing across the throwing venue.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:10 pm

Master Masters Athlete

leigh wrote:
Hey just to clarify, the womens implements DO change at 50...in my case, THANK GOD! However...I'm not so sure I will think as much of myself(ego) or my throws when I get to throw the lighter shot.

No offense here...I think it's kind of funny that there was any discussion about ego being involved in the throwing events! Are you kidding me?...This is the biggest group of walking egos ever...good , bad and ugly!! :) Please dont beat me up here! I love being at the meets...generally all guys...Testosterone City..and enthusiasm for throwing stuff far. It's a blast!!!!

OK, I'm pressing the submit button now and I am scared!

Great post Leigh. We need more like you at the meets. But something tells me that you might be "one of a kind".

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:56 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Of course, I'm getting into some interesting discussions with some of my fellow throwers. Some think throwing the full oly weights (going heavy) is going to greatly help at the big master's meets.

Others, think it will hurt, because I'll need more speed than strength to throw the lighter weights (over 60). Gonna do this for at least a couple of more months. Right now, I'm feeling the power positions better, hopefully that is a good sign.

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:24 am

After reading the ladies post and comment on this subject, why do I picture in my head the old Charles Atlas advertisements from comic books from back in the day ... Leigh and Liz... in bikinis on the beach, looking admiringly to some studly thrower dude in an old style speedo finger flipping a shot put in the air ?? ...LOL...Question is, who is that guy???? Feel free to mention some names... :~) Ladies, you know I'm only kidding. I, as well as other gents on this site, have been know to appreciate the ladies throwing, jumping and running at meets as well !!! :lol:

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

I kind of threw up in my mouth a little. (always wanted to say that)

IRONSLINGER!!! IT AINT LIKE THAT. My Az guys are a great group and some of the top throwers in the Nation. It is a kick to watch, learn, and throw with them. Why don't you come on down to one of our meets? Tim Muller always puts together the weight pent and it is great. We have a few guys throw just shot or disc or whatever at that one. Last year Mark Landa set the AR for his age group
hmmm... I never thought about competing in my bikini and I'm trying to think who I would compare to Charles Atlas. It has to be...

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

Hadabetter wrote:
Go for it!

That's how I feel now. We'll see about it, though, in five years when I'm 50!

Thanks.

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:35 am

Master Masters Athlete

Ironslinger wrote:
After reading the ladies post and comment on this subject, why do I picture in my head the old Charles Atlas advertisements from comic books from back in the day ... Leigh and Liz... in bikinis on the beach, looking admiringly to some studly thrower dude in an old style speedo finger flipping a shot put in the air ?? ...LOL...Question is, who is that guy???? Feel free to mention some names... :~)

It's definitely not me. I've lost about 25 lbs in the past year, and just today my wife says to me, "You really look skinny. Your shoulders are so narrow."

Thrower ego? Mine is gone now!

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Leigh, You're too funny!! Tell Tim Muller I said Hello! Tim used to live here in Colorado a few years back and we used to throw together at Masters meets at Colorado State University. I'd love to make it down to Arizona. to throw with you guys and gals, but due to the economy and things I must tend to, it doesn't look good. Plus, I'm trying to switch to the spin technique intead of my usual glide, because my throwing elbow has just about had it. Using the spin has taken alot of pressure off of it, but after three practices so far my farthest throw with the 16# is 45' 7" in practice and consistant at 44' 6" - 45'. I really need to hit my release better but we'll see how it goes. GTheo, I used to pull that line your wife used on you to thrower friends of mine back in the day with a little different spin to it, that I knew were hitting the weight room really hard. They'd show up to the meets all pumped up and I'd say to them ," Dude, you're looking great!! Is it the diet or the aerobics classes that's got you so lean!" :P Well, now that Leigh has kept us in the dark about who she thought was the Chucky "A" of Arizona, we'll have to poll the audience... Send in your results and let's see who the winner is... :wink:

Top Top

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

http://www.fidal.it/2009/COD1993/Gara428.htm

Kostin turns 50 in May of this year. I believe that he is #17 on the alltime list all ages. He threw 21.96m in 1986, when he was 27 years old.

Throwing 16.51m with a 16lb shot at age 50 is amazing!

Top Top