masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Sorry to hear that Byrke. The good news is that it's just a meniscus injury (and orthoscopic surgery vs. the hacksaw). Rehab is pretty aggressive these days (as you well know) so I'm thinking that you will be back up and running in short order. Doesn't make you feel any better during the downtime though. Hey! Maybe you and I should race (bad knee vs. bad achilles) and see who gets carted off to the hospital first! Tough break my friend....

Top Top

Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hang in there guys. 3 months since my accident with multiple broken bones and I'm back out there training (started running again 6 weeks ago). Let your body heal up and start training again with fresh legs.

Top Top

Thu May 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Master Masters Athlete

3 wks since surgery. He found a "parrot beak" meniscal tear and some old cartilage damage. On my trochlea (underneath the patella) there is basically no more cartilage (too many yrs of football and heavy squats). He couldn't believe I'm not in pain when I run ( actually am sometimes). Swelling is finally down and pain is mostly gone. Been riding the stationary bike but will try the elliptical machine this weekend. I'm jealous of you all who are training right now. :(

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Sun May 10, 2009 8:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Anyone having any good news / good workouts lately? I am going to run a 300m fast as part of my HS kids workout on Monday. Have done some self-timed flying 60s (60y in 6.1-6.3, 60m in 6.7-6.9) in the past two weeks. Don't know how legit the times are, but do know that last time I was in good shape, my times were .2-.5 secs better. Oh well, still feels good to spike-up and run (relatively) fast. Hope others out there have good things to report.

Top Top

Tue May 12, 2009 6:13 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Louie,

Are you a HS coach? I am a coach in Texas and we are near the end of our season, so I occasionally workout with my 2 runners who qualified for regionals (a 400m guy and 300m hurdler). My workouts are going well but since I missed so much time because of a motorcycle accident I am doing workouts I normally would be running in Feb./March. Today on our HS baseball field I ran 2x field perimeter(a bit shy of 400), 2x300(approx), and 6x foul pole to foul pole(approx.130m). How about some others posting their training?

Top Top

Wed May 13, 2009 8:50 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Hola fellow sufferers....
Been out of the "game" for 45 days due to an achilles tendon pull that does not seem to want to go away. Ran for the first time last night (treadmill) at a 10:00 minute mile pace without any grab or pull. Otherwise, been rehabbing on the stationary bike (hill intervals) and elliptical machine. The gym is boring me to tears and I miss being out on the track.

Byrke, glad to hear that surgery went well and that you are on the way to recovery. I'd hate to think of all the damage a surgeon would find in my knees after so many years of football (until age 38) and heavy leg lifting. He'd probably recommend prostetic legs for me!

For me, this season appears to be a wash-out. Maybe I can sneak in a late season meet in Aug/Sept. if this achilles heals in time. Anyone else have an injury like this? Feels fine when I walk. Just grabs and pulls once I start running. Age I guess.....Good luck to all

Top Top

Wed May 13, 2009 7:54 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hey Tom, sorry to hear about your injury woes. I have done 2 intense workouts since my surgery almost 4 wks ago. The first was Monday in which I ran 2 1/2 miles around the track at a 9:30 pace. Today I significantly "upped the ante" by running 2 1/2 miles at a 9:00 pace. Smokin'!!
In all seriousness, I am hoping, like you, to get in some late-season competition.
Be well!
BB

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Lindy,
I am a high school coach too. Our district meet (state qualifier) is this weekend. After that, I should have considerably more time to workout but less company during my workouts. Coaching sprints and jumps has left me with many days of not getting a workout done because of feeling a need to be "coaching" kids somewhere instead of just running a workout alongside them. I never did get my fast 300 done the other day, but one of my kids whom I have repeatedly bested in workouts ran low 38., so I feel I could have done that. Goal is to be under 37.5 when I run it next week.
Best of luck at State.

Top Top

Thu May 14, 2009 8:02 pm

Master Masters Athlete

BMo and Tom-Hang in there, it will get better.

Louie-Good luck to you also this weekend. I hear you on not running with the kids when you have large #'s out. Some days after school practice would have 50 athletes that needed to be pushed. I've really enjoyed working with my final 2.
Did another basic workout today, all on grass just running with good form and short rest intervals. 4x200,4x100, lots of form drills. I run my first 400 of the year next Sat.

Top Top