masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:32 am

Master Masters Athlete

Last year I competed in my 7th Olympic Trials in Eugene. I was 46 and weighed in at 234lbs and resembled Mike Myers' movie character "Fat Bastard". Eight months later I have lost 44lbs (20kgs) and bare more resemblance now to Charlie Brown. Despite losing all the weight I have actually managed to increase my strength, albeit just slightly, so my relative strength has gone through the roof. But here is what is strange: I have always had a massive standing throw of 60m+ but in the last few months the distance has dropped off significantly. What is bizarre is that for each meter my standing throw has dropped off my full approach ( 7 steps ) throw has gone up a meter. I am now consistently throwing 6m less from a stand but have gained it consistently off the full approach.
Can anyone explain to me why this has / is happening?
:?:
Below are 2 youtube videos of me throwing. The first is the large version of me at the 2008 Olympic Trials. The second video is the new smaller version of me throwing 67.02m in competition 2 months ago:

2008:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZeVWuqIgw
2009:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2HtcvFg3z8

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:15 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Here's my guess...it's a question of physics. At 234 pounds, you had the inertia to provide a stable base for a huge standing throw. At a lesser weight, you can't exert that much force without being "thrown back" and losing distance on the standing throw. Your run-up gives you the momentum and inertia to support the massive amount of force you are putting into the throw.

And by the way, standing or with the crossover, your marks are HUGE! I'd give my throwing arm to claim any one of them as mine.

Top Top

Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Same here!

Just took 20 throws from a five-step cross-over approach mostly, and averaged 58 meters. I am 20 kilos less than my last competition in 2006 at USATF Masters Champs, where I bested 58.25 for the day's effort...The 20 throws I took last weekend felt sooo much easier. I suspect that like Roald, my losing 40 lbs has enabled the ease of motion of this effort because my stand-throw also dropped off a few meters since 2006. I will test this application at Lahti in August. Never too old. I call this event the "ultimate mid-life crisis!"

Top Top