masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I was a good sprinter 20-something years ago. Now I'm 42 years old and about 40 pounds heavier but I want to try again. My Plantar fasciitis from last summer only hurts for a minute when I get out of bed the day after I walk 4-5 miles, so I guess I'm okay for sprinting.

What time would I need in 100 meters to qualify for something? I'm in New York City in case that matters.

Top Top

Mon May 25, 2009 6:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Barry,

No need to qualify for masters meets. Being compeptive in the 40-44 group is tough. To crack the top 25 list(you can see the yearly rankings on this web sites home page) a sub 12 FAT is needed. Do a little research, start easy, go to some masters meets and talk to the sprinters. The camaraderie is the best thing about masters track.

Top Top

Mon May 25, 2009 8:24 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Who cares about the time Barry. The best part is the fun of it all and the feeling of speed, baby!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I just want to make sure I don't fall apart and won't be the slowest. I can't wait to time myself (or get a friend to time me).

I had a weird experience in high school that I still think about. Everyone was being timed and I knew I was fast but I was tied for last place in the beginning. My form or something was off and I didn't feel fast but I got so mad that I just tried harder and moved my legs faster and started gaining on everyone and ended up in the middle of the pack. That race should have been mine.

I've done a little research since high school to see what's fast, how long your stride should be, etc, but I never really knew how to get into it until now. The internet makes it easier.

Top Top