masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

This is my first event ever (M40-44) pentathaon. The start time is 1 o'clock.
Here are my questions
1. How long of a time is there between events or are they one after another?
2. Do I need to bring my Javelin or are implements provided?
3. Are scores posted after each event?
Thanks for answering. :D :D

Top Top

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:13 am

Junior Masters Athlete

1. Starting at 1:00, you are in the last group. Your group will compete in the long jump (first pentathlon event) after all the other groups have completed the pentathlon long jump and have cleared the pit (and maybe some non-pentatlon "long jump" groups as well if they are scheduled on Thursday). Being in the last group, you will be subject to the longest delays if the meet is running late. The pentathlon events are always run in the following order: LJ, jav, 200m, dis, 1500m. Historically, you will be allowed at least 1/2 hour rest between events, but that is no guarantee. Hopefully, your meet officials will know what they're doing.

2. My group of 14 will use the 600 gm javelin, and Jason Fast has informed me that he is unwilling to provide more than one 600 gm house javelin despite the likelihood that many of our 14 group participants will have to share that one javelin--in warmups and in competition. That could easily delay the competition or force us to run after the javelin that the previous participant has used, and I'm not happy about the prospect of that. I'm certainly not willing to get ripped off to the tune of $200 round trip to check my javelin aboard the airline as I did last year. Therefore, I will have to rely on the sole 600 gm house javelin. I suggest you contact Jason Fast and find out how many 800 gm house javelins if any will be provided for your age group.

3. I don't know the answer to this one. Last year we were informed of the score only after the 4th event, and we were told that the event rules required that. The competitors were kept guessing about the standings until after the 4th event. In 1989, I recall that we were informed after the 3rd event as well. Someone else probably has the answer to this. But keep in mind, this is a masters track meet, and probably understaffed as usual, with some less experienced officials than the open nationals, so expect the unexpected.

Top Top

Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:04 am

Master Masters Athlete

ad 3: do it yourself!

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:43 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

The score keeping will depend on the quality of event marshalls. When I competed in 2004 and 2006 we had great marshalls for our group (50-59). They took good care of us as a group and also got updated standings after each event. In 2007 it was a much different story. Not much help between events, and even going into the 1500, we had no idea of the scores and rankings. Hopefully Oshkosh will run as well as Illinois and Charlotte.

Top Top

Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Another comment on #3: bring a friend with a pencil and paper and a copy of the scoring tables! Promise to feed them or marry them (or both). :wink:

Top Top