masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Since changing to the 1 kg discus, I am getting much better spin and (for the first time) sometimes no wobble. I moved up to an International Athletics 1 kg discus (billed as "high spin" but less than 80% rim weight) last year with improved spin and distance. Any suggestions for moving up to a higher rim weight discus? Thanks. :lol:

Top Top

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 am

Master Masters Athlete

It's not clear to me whether you are asking if you should or shouldn't change implements, what changes in technique you should make to help you make the transition if you do, or recommendations for discus brands and models.

"Any suggestions on moving up" is kind of vague.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Trouble with the 1k is the ability to get the weight to the rim.
I have an older Denfi that just plain likes to fly.

And a cheap wooden one with that doesn't know it shouldn't go so far.

If you are under 150-160 feet, it isn't doing to mean much. Sad, but true.

And I'm not, so take what you want from all this.

Top Top

Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

OK. I'm not anywhere close to 150 feet (but maybe some day). My knees are wiped out and I'm retiring from sprinting & jumping, and intend to specialize in the javelin and discus. I made some good improvement with the IA discus which cost about $65. I get consistently better spin and distance with the IA discus vs. cheaper ones. I will be spending a lot more time training and would like to try a "more advanced" one for a reasonable price that may give me better results but don't want to pay an arm and a leg. I realize I'm not going to win anything but I really enjoy throwing the discus! Thanks for your advice (brand and model).

Top Top

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Here is my basic thought - invest in one good competition disc and then have multiple cheaper training discs. More training discs will give more efficient training sessions and more throwing volume, which should lead to better marks!

ps... you may also want to consider adding a 1.25k disc (for special strength) and a .75k disc for speed

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:40 am

Master Masters Athlete

Plenty of bargains around right now.

Nick is spot on with the comp. discus and the cheapo practice ones. The more you have, the less you have to walk out to fetch. Four is the best for practice. Five, you end up dropping one.

Helps if you are coaching a school, then you can have the kids bring your in.

Though, I was throwing great when I was coaching. Business forced me out this year and my discus and shot suffered.

Top Top

Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:08 am

Master Masters Athlete

I agree with Rev GJ that the rim weighting gets more important at the longer distances. My gut tells me that it might be a little less than the distances he mentioned though.

I think he's probably spot-on for the 2k discus. My experience is that it's around 140' where rim weight starts to help with the 1.5k. The 1k has such a tendency to turn over on its side that rim weighting might start to help a little with the 1k at around 130'.

Of course the effect would be amplified at the longer distances, and in a headwind. In a big tailwind, you might not see much benefit from rim weighting at all.

I'm glad you've tossed aside that foolish sprinting and jumping and have joined the wonderful world of throwing! :lol:

(I can't wait to join you guys throwing the 1k.)

Top Top
  Profile WWW