masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:24 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

What is considered one of the top of the line javelins ? (700g) around 45 m. :)

Top Top

Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:04 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hi RC;

You won't find a lot of choices in 700g jav's. There are 2 beginner jav's: the First Place and the Aussie 2000. They are the least expensive in cost (about $125 or so) and will land point first almost every time.

There is an intermediate jav-the Sandvik, which is a steel jav (all the others are aluminum). I own one of these, and find that the tip will come down every time, and the flight is truer than the above javs. This is the closest to a 45-50M jav.

I also own a Pacer-which is basically the old Dick Held jav. It's only made in one version, which is a 50-60M type. I throw better with this jav, but you need to throw thru the point to get the tip to come down. In 2 of the last 3 Natl's that I've throw in (M's Pentathlon), my best throw was ruled flat (145-150' range).

I find that the Pacer will fly better for me (145-155' range) but it might land flat. If I throw the Sandvik I'll lose 5-10', but the throws will always be legal.

The Sandvik and the Pacer are about $225.

Top Top

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:31 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Hi Guys

Since you're talking about flat landings...what is the rule? If the point hits but doesn't stick they measure, right? No mark (or what) for flat? I threw in one meet with no knowledge of the rules. How can you control the landing? Thanks

Top Top

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:17 am

Senior Masters Athlete

The point doesn't have to stick, but for a throw to be fair it must land ever-so-slightly point first. Flat throws and "tail first" throws are foul. Having said that, some officials are more lenient than others , so you just never know.

As for controlling the landing, if you are throwing a javelin that is rated for longer distance than you are throwing, it will tend to land tail first because it is designed to tip over later in its flight. I would guess that the most common reason, though, is a flawed release---not letting go cleanly but yanking down a bit as you release, which makes the javelin fly with the point too high.

Top Top

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:45 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Hey Mike Brown- congrats on the new Jav World record for your age group- Glad I got to see you throw 65m+

Nice toss!
Robert Fellman

Last edited by headhoncho444 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Two things:
1 The low number of available types of 700g (and also for 500) agian makes clear that those 'abnormal' weights are not really a good idea of WMA.
2 When you have problems with tip-first landing the solution mostly is in releaving the javelin earlier. When you hold the javelin a bit too long (it is about .01 second...) the landing gets worse.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

pacer held a good one but like mentioned has to be thrown thru the point, also raita has an inexpensive javelin, polanik has a level 1 javelin rated for 55 meters if you prefer a fat grip this is the javelin reminds me of the old floaters i threw in highschool in the sixties, i personally use 3 differant javelins , a pacer held , a nordic pegasus and a polanik class 2 rated for 65meters but rebuilt and repainted by Ron Johnson to suit my throwing style , if you look on his web site the javelin man there is a picture of it the Ted Nugent Special he calls it , he did one fantastic job on it and i always get comments on its looks even when i throw like a shmuck

Top Top
  Profile WWWYIM

Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

8)

Last edited by headhoncho444 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:19 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Ken:

Great advice. I'm picking up the javelin again after a 22 year absence. I have been training with my old 1987 Dick Held 800 gram javelin and I'm afraid I'm going to blowout my shoulder and/or elbow. My strength is very good, but at my age (M55), the arm speed and flexibility have taken a hit in the past 22 years. I think it's wise to invest in a medium range 700 gram javelin as soon as possible before I sustain some type of throwing injury. You are correct about throwing through the point with these old Dick Held javelins. Any small error in throwing will cause my javelin to land flat or turn slightly while in the air, although this is usually caused by a bad release on my part.

I suppose the lesson to be learned here is to practice with the proper sized implement for your specific age group in order to prevent injury. Thanks again for your wise advice.

Bill

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:11 am

Master Masters Athlete

Maybe you can also find a Nemeth. Very nice javelins in my opinion. By the way, 800 is a good weight to do some workout throws. I even do that. W59.

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:59 am

Senior Masters Athlete

Weia:

Sound advice. I will incorporate my 800 gram javelin in my training routine, being careful not to be too agressive in my throwing with this implement. Thanks.

Bill

Top Top

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

Leigh I suggest you go to www.JAVELAND.com and post your question to Jeff Gorski. He can give you several reasons why your jav is acting like it is.

Also, Jeff can help you others get a spear that fits your needs.

Top Top

Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:46 am

Junior Masters Athlete

How would a hole in a javelin be an advantage? one of the javelins at our school has a small puncture in the shaft from when another javelin hit it perfectly. Our coach says it is not allowed in competition because it would be unfairly advantageous. how is this an advantage? wouldnt the hole create drag, causing a disadvantage?

Last edited by wilmaliya on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top Top

Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:54 am

Junior Masters Athlete

I have a 600 gm Pacer Comet 45 javelin and am considering buying another to cover a wider range of conditions. My best throws are in the 40m range. Does anybody have an opinion about the capabilities of the 600 gm Pacer Comet 45? Thanks. :lol:

Top Top