masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I'm (almost) completely new to masters track and field. Well, new to the javelin. I did the longjump last year but broke my left leg this spring. Discretion being the better part of valor - I've decided to can the longjump for this year.

But I still have a right arm so thought I might try my luck at the javelin in it's place. I picked up a Turbojav (longTom 600g model) for cheap and started throwing it a couple weeks ago. I must be a total wimp cause I can't throw the thing more than 30 yards.

My question is - how will my distance with a real jav compare to the turbojav distance? I haven't purchased a real jav yet and wondering if I will waste the money if the real jav distance is equivalent to the turbojav. Can't imagine being even mildly competitive at that distance.

Needin some help
Dean

Top Top

Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:11 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I practiced today with my body squared to the target and taking NO runup. Oddly, I'm able to hurl the turbojav just as far with no runup as I can with a runup - 30 yards. The flight of the turbo also seems to be much more true without a runup.

This leads me to believe that my technique is breaking down badly in the runup and transition to throw as I am totally unable to turn that potential energy (body speed) into any kind of kinetic energy (javelin speed). Thinking about throwing a ball - I'm sure I could improve my distance by 50% or so with just a short runup.

Any comments are more than welcome.

Top Top

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

I am certainly no javelin thrower, but I started training with a TurboJav (300g and LongTom 600g) prior to my first weight pentathlon. I could throw just over 100' feet with the 300g TurboJav when I arrived at the weight pentathlon (never throwing a javelin previously). I ended up throwing about 140' with the real javelin in this meet with only taking a few steps then releasing. The TurboJav teaches you to throw to the point and is actually more difficult to throw straight than the real javelin in my humblr opinion.
I realize that I am far from an expert, but this was my experience.

Top Top

Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:01 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am a total newcomer to javelin, but maybe that gives me a better perspective. I have worked wiht both a 300g Turbo Jav and 500g Turbo Jav this summer as well as a "real" 500g javelin.

I find the turbo easier to throw because it seems to correct itself in the air. The little fins keep it trying to go straight and if I throw it incorrectly or it's windy I've seen it actually turn in the air.

My real javelin on the other hand it unforgiving. If I throw it wrong it lands wrong.

The distances are approximately the same, but my javelin rarely lands with a legal point and the turbo jav does almost every time. I guess it's good practice to strengthen one's arm but I have not (so far) found it to be true that it improves ones form.

I think it's too forgiving to improve my form.

Top Top
  Profile WWW