masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:01 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Ok looks like the outdoor season is over. I always think I'm going to compete indoors but then the weather get bad and I have no place to throw since there are no indoor facilities near where I live.

I throw the weight and the shot indoors. Any of you have routines to get ready for meets without throwing? Something I can do in the gym in addition to lifting and running on the treadmill?

Top Top
  Profile WWW

Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Master Masters Athlete

When the temp drops to a frigid 60-65 degrees around here I have switched to heavy medicine ball drills and turns in the garage.

Top Top

Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:04 am

Master Masters Athlete

I've been throwing the weight outdoors during the winter for several years, even in below 0 temperatures. Just find a patch of concrete or asphalt next to a length of grass. Shovel and salt the concrete/asphalt if it's covered by snow. Wear two heavy gloves while you throw. And of course, dress warm.

Here's a hint; when it's below about 25 degrees, the snow won't penetrate most throwing shoes. Shake the loose snow off your shoes immediately after retrieving the weight, and your feet will stay warm.

Hint #2; keep your training sessions under 45 mins.

Last winter I was fortunate enough to find an indoor location to throw the weight on Sundays, but I still threw outdoors 2 other days a week too.

Shot is another story. Putting something cold next to your neck with no gloves on would be difficult. I have no solution for that one.

Top Top

Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:33 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

the official at the Sunday West Point meet, Mr. Roman, mentioned indoor practices at the Armory on a weekday evening open to anyone...

Top Top