masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:16 am

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I was checking out the new Nike Matumbo spikes and they state that the shoes run large by 1/2 size. but thqt got me thinking, would running in a shoe 1/2 size larger would it affect your performance much? When I skated many years ago, the rule of thumb that a 1 smaller then your regular shoe, you would skate better.

Top Top
  Profile YIM

Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:51 am

Master Masters Athlete

I am not sure if you are concerned about the fit or the weight?
I have a pair, and they are very light at 3.5 oz for size 11.5 (I normally wear size 12).
For the fit, I would say if I had gotten the size 12 instead of the 11.5, the spike plate might not have been positioned under the ball of my feet correctly, but I think I could have tightened them up enough to eliminate any slippage that might have occurred.

I don't think that you would want to run these spikes undersized. The flywire outer material looks pretty thin and can tear. They also use that material in the Nike Lunar racer's (flats), and I have seen some of those with tears in the upper material.

Old Man PR's (40 - 49 --- 800 - 2:05 / 1500 - 4:28 ) (50 - 54 --- 800 - 2:18 / 5000 - 18:23 / 10K 38:45 / 1/2 Marathon 1:29 / Marathon 3:23)

Top Top
  Profile WWW