masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hello all,

I'm pretty new here, though I've come here for training advice and motivation quite often. By way of background, I was a collegiate sprinter and I am now 29 years old, out of law school, with a wife and kids and wanting to compete.

When I was in college, it seemed the masters guys who trained with us typically worked in a fitness field (that required them to stay in shape), or otherwise had plenty of time to dedicate to training. I wondered if any of you have had success stories in making the most of limited training time. Is it realistic to pursue ambitious masters goals when working full-time?

Thanks in advance.

Top Top

Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Senior Masters Athlete

If I trained as hard in my 30s & 40s as I do now and was traveling to meets on weekends I know I wouldn't have had the time or energy to be there for my kids as much as I was.

I coached them in track, volleyball, basketball, and a little baseball too. For me the triumphs as a coach and parent far exceed anything I've done for myself.

Now that I'm over 50 I have more time for me; the return to competition has been fun, but I still get more of a thrill when kids I coach do well.

My advice would be stay in shape, compete when you can, but don't sacrifice the more important things in life.

Top Top

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:25 am

Senior Masters Athlete

It can be done. I am an attorney, wife and mother of three girls ages 14, 8 and 6. I can get by on way less running than I did as a kid. (3 days a week - including meets.) Could I run better if I trained more? Maybe - maybe not - pointless to ponder cause I don't thave the time.

Anyway, check to see if there's a gym close to where you work - I was lucky to find one about a five min. drive from the office. Depending on my schedule I lift in the morning and run during lunch. I'm a sprinter so most of my workouts can be completed in less than an hour. The longer workouts have to be saved for the weekend.

You also have to have a very good relationship with your assistant. They should know where you are at ALL times. I take my phone to the track and check for text msgs during the workout. It's a hassle but necessary. (I've had to take calls at the track.) There's also a track next to a playground near my house. We all jump in the car on Saturday afternoons to go "play" My kids have their own activities ( basketball, band, choir, piano) so I don't have evenings to make up missed workouts. I've learned not to sweat it and make sure the workouts I actually do "count." There are lots of Masters runners who have jobs outside of the fitness field. I think if you want to you can find a way to it work.
R. Henderson

Top Top

Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:29 am

Senior Masters Athlete

(Me again)

Meant to say you can find a way to make it work :P

Top Top

Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Many "busy" folks are in Masters-Police, Fire, Physicians etc. The best thing about it seems to be the discipline required to train spills over into or from your "day job". Also, I have found that the fitness training (2-3 x week for the last couple years I have been competing) has given me more energy to do my regular job. An unexpected plus has been the positive effect training and competing has had on my kids (5). They think its cool and train with me! My older ones want to throw also!!

S Wright, M47, Discus

Top Top

Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

I agree with the doc....I have a crazy job and still find ways to get out and get some throws in. I've also found that helping coach at the local HS gives me a chance to share my limited knowledge and get some throws in.

I know find myself throwing against some of the kids I've worked with at college meets!

You'll find a way....

....Just a few more throws!

Top Top

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:05 pm

Junior Masters Athlete

Hi there,

...the job back ground doesn't really matter...I'm a 44 year old painting contractor.
You just have to make it work for your situation,...if you have to get up at 5am...to get it done, get up at 5. If you have to sqeeze a partial workout in a lunch break, do that...

...just don't quit!!!

The time will fly and at one time, the kids are a bit older...and all of a sudden you got more time and more energy,...and if you want... this would be the perfect time to let it all out...and follow your passion to the fullest...
In my case...I was only able to run about three to four times a week throughout my thirties. That was still enough to occasionally run a 17:00 5K and a 4:30 mile. Nothing great...but still...a whole lot better than getting fat and out of shape.

So I had it both ways,...I was there for my family and got a little bit for myself done too...

About 5 years ago I started to run with a group, great friends by now, that meet weekday mornings at 5:30am, saturdays at 7 and sundays at 6:30. Great fun and plenty of little rivalries. We're mostly over 40 with a handful of us really going for it.
We got a lawyer, a truck driver, a retailer, an insurance agent, a bank clerk, a meat cutter to name a few in this little group.

I've kept my speed somewhat,... ran a 4:31 mile at age 42, but also have run every distance all the way up to the marathon. I'm still dreaming of breaking 4:30 for the mile , 16 for 5K and 34 for 10K.

Running again is like it was in my twenties, a lot of fun... filled with exitement...

...one more thing: the older you get the more you gotta be pampering yourself, work on your weak spots, prevent injuries, stay flexible and don't shy away for dishing out money for massages and chiropractic adjustments...

good luck...!!

Top Top

Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Master Masters Athlete

Bugaha, I admit it can be tough to work, be a spouse, be a parent and train effectively. There have been times I've felt like giving it all up. But that feeling of speed once you're in race-shape is ohhhh sooo addictive. As for getting it all in, I'm an Ob/Gyn who works about 60hrs a week, often up in the middle of the night. My addiction to the speed is my motivator. I also have a very supportive wife and kids. That's key!

M45 PRs: 100: 12.04, 400: 54.83, 800: 2:23.5, 5K: 19:27

Top Top

Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 am

Junior Masters Athlete

Thanks for the tips and the motivation all of you. In fact, I'm pumped. Based on your PRs, it looks like you're more than able to compete and thrive.

Top Top

Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:58 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

All of these comments are well said, I commute 4 hours a day (2 hours each way) to work Monday to Friday. and I often workout before the family wake up, I tend to "pick and choose" meets, races etc, Some work better than others, (morning meets work better, etc) and also I run unattached, so I don't have club workouts as committments. If you juggle it, it can be done without strains on family life, work etc.

Top Top