masterstrack.com

The No. 1 site for masters track discussions

Login | Register

Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Journeyman Masters Athlete

Hi, from the websites that are out there it is hard to get a feel for what is around the Lewis Center? Are there hotels? If I go by Train can I get to the center? How out of the way is it. Can people give me an idea?

Top Top

Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:36 am

Junior Masters Athlete

there are few hotels near the facility....the train is not recommeded. Here is the link to the hotel...http://doubletree.hilton.com/en/dt/grou ... ndex.jhtml

there is a shuttle from the hotel to the track running all 3 days.

Mike Travers
meet co-director

Top Top

Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:02 am

Master Masters Athlete

There are no hotels within walking distance to the track and the meet hotel is quite some distance away - with NO public transportation close at hand. If you stay there - take the shuttle to the track. There are many hotels closer to the track but they will require that you either take a taxi - or take the T (if a station is close by). There is a stop on the T close to the track - so that is a possibility.
Having just looked at the meet hotel website - for Boston - that is a reasonable rate - you may find a less expensive hotel within the city but taxi fare will eat up the difference. Of course you can rent a car and spend even more money!
I would say that the hotel and transportation issues for the Reggis Lewis track are not easy but compared with Landover - much easier. That was a difficult place to get to without a car- no public transportation that came close to the track facility, and the hotels at some distance and without a car - one was forced to eat at the hotel. It was not possible to walk from the hotel where I stayed to the track - or from any hotel in the area for that matter. It is the reason why I will never go to Landover again for a track meet - too impossible a location unless one has a car. Reggie is close to the T - you can take that and walk a couple of blocks to the track.
And- if you come by train, bus, or plane - it is a long and expensive taxi ride to the meet hotel. You can take the T to Harvard Square and a taxi to the hotel but from either the airport of South Station that is a long trip. I hope you do not have to carry a hammer, shot, javelin, or pole vault pole!

Top Top

Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:13 am

Thanks for the info..that gives something to think about.

Top Top

Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:57 pm

There is a subway stop across the street from the Reggie Lewis Center-the Orange line. The station is Roxbury Crossing. You can take the Orange line into central Boston, and transfer to Red, Green, or Silver lines. Fare is $2.00 each trip. You can also get a weekly pass for unlimited rides for $15.

Most of the Boston hotels are near one of the subway lines. There are no hotels near the Reggie Lewis Center.

Top Top